The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: honey

I love honey, and use it a lot. It's time to channel my inner Winnie-the-Pooh.

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 8.00.01 PM.jpg

CD

Among other things.

This is going to be rough, though. MrsT just got scheduled today for oral surgery, which will be next week, and she'll be on a strict soft/cold food for a few days, then just soft food for a good 10 days after that, so a large part of this challenge...I may be out of luck with cooking.

Besides, I've still got cheddar and dark chocolate recipes to get to from previous challenges! :laugh:

Among other things.

This is going to be rough, though. MrsT just got scheduled today for oral surgery, which will be next week, and she'll be on a strict soft/cold food for a few days, then just soft food for a good 10 days after that, so a large part of this challenge...I may be out of luck with cooking.

Besides, I've still got cheddar and dark chocolate recipes to get to from previous challenges! :laugh:

Quinoa with some honey and other flavors would be good for the Mrs. Maybe some dark chocolate sprinkles on top. I already know that Quinoa and cheddar works -- with some alliums. I wonder how many past challenges you can turn into a meal?

CD

Among other things.

Honey is very healing. Maybe ice-cream or a soft dessert dish?

I was planning on a honey cake recipe I love, but I've now tweaked a banana cake recipe to include honey instead. I am curious how it turns out. Once it's cooled and photographed I will share the recipe here.

I will probably still make the other honey cake too later in this challenge.

Among other things.

Ice cream.

I was planning on a honey cake recipe I love, but I've now tweaked a banana cake recipe to include honey instead. I am curious how it turns out. Once it's cooled and photographed I will share the recipe here.

I will probably still make the other honey cake too later in this challenge.
I know it's going to be delicious, I have done that before! Honey complements the bananas quite nicely.

Ice cream.
Well, the funny thing is, she's on cold soft food for the first two days - no biting or chewing, and the cold to keep the swelling down, and the stuff she's rattling off...you'd think she was going on a cold soft diet for a month. :laugh:

At one point, she said I'd have to make her a variety of smoothies. My reaction was, "You've never had a smoothie in your life, and now you want 'a variety?' It's two freaking days, just eat ice cream. I'm not making smoothies." :headshake:

Any other time, if I told her I couldn't make anything for a few days, she'd say, "No problem, I'll just eat ice cream."

Now, though, it's "I need yogurt and ice cream and pudding and sorbet and smoothies and jello and..." - it's two days! :laugh:

Well, the funny thing is, she's on cold soft food for the first two days - no biting or chewing, and the cold to keep the swelling down, and the stuff she's rattling off...you'd think she was going on a cold soft diet for a month. :laugh:

At one point, she said I'd have to make her a variety of smoothies. My reaction was, "You've never had a smoothie in your life, and now you want 'a variety?' It's two freaking days, just eat ice cream. I'm not making smoothies." :headshake:

Any other time, if I told her I couldn't make anything for a few days, she'd say, "No problem, I'll just eat ice cream."

Now, though, it's "I need yogurt and ice cream and pudding and sorbet and smoothies and jello and..." - it's two days! :laugh:
Well you could make a pudding/yogurt/ice cream/sorbet/fruit smoothie, lol. It would actually work with vanilla for the pudding, yogurt, and ice cream, and then use fruit and the sorbet for the fruity part. Maybe you should put some rum in it too so she'll pass out and quit nagging you.

I dislike Jello, you are on your own there. For people not in the US, Jello is a brand name for flavored gelatin and I ate so much of it as a kid I hope I never have to eat it again in this lifetime.

Last edited:
Quinoa with some honey and other flavors would be good for the Mrs. Maybe some dark chocolate sprinkles on top. I already know that Quinoa and cheddar works -- with some alliums. I wonder how many past challenges you can turn into a meal?

CD
The problem with that would be the grains can get stuck in wounds in the mouth...for that matter, so do seeds from fruit smoothies, so that's probably not a good idea, either. At least no strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries.

Recipe - Honey-Mustard Salad Dressing

This dressing is sweet, as it "maybe I should pour this over some pancakes" sweet.

The thing is, though, once it gets in there with some salad items, especially onions, it transforms and really shines. The cloying sweetness of the honey fades a bit and the creaminess of the mayonnaise comes through.

This particular salad was very simple; lettuce, cuke slices, and onion. Once this dressing hit the salad, it all came together and tasted a lot like those easy quick pickles (aka refrigerator pickles) we used to eat when the summer cuke bounty appeared.

Back
Top Bottom