The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: honey

Recipe - Honey spiced banana cake

Cut into small triangles as I try to eat smaller portions.

I saw that I had already posted my other honey cake recipe in the past, so this is my first entry!

Last edited:
Here's an easy one:

Recipe - Cinnamon-Honey Syrup

The ingredients first:

Ready for the microwave:

Very pretty:

Who says good has to be hard? I've said before that I don't really like honey at all, it kind of turns my stomach just to smell it, but that I use it a lot as an ingredient. This is an example. Just two other ingredients, and it makes something that's palatable to even me, an avowed honey hater.

When I threw this together, I stuck my finger in it to monitor the temp, tasted it, and thought, "Eh...tolerably better than straight honey, but it's still very much honey."

When, however, I added it to my pancakes this morning...that really made the difference to me. Gasp! I actually...liked it. Oh my...

I asked MrsT her opinion and was surprised to hear her say this would be an acceptable alternative to pure maple syrup. As a daughter of syrup country (upstate NY), she knows her syrup and she puts it on everything, and before today, any syrup headed for a pancake had to be maple-based. No substitutes.

Apparently, that has changed. If you knew my wife IRL, you'd know that carries considerable weight.

Any leftovers would work in a cake recipe, or cookies, over ice cream or a cobbler (or a crisp/crumble), or even as a glaze for some pork chops (which may be where this is headed).

Here's an easy one:

Recipe - Cinnamon-Honey Syrup

The ingredients first:
View attachment 67933

Ready for the microwave:
View attachment 67934

Very pretty:
View attachment 67935

Who says good has to be hard? I've said before that I don't really like honey at all, it kind of turns my stomach just to smell it, but that I use it a lot as an ingredient. This is an example. Just two other ingredients, and it makes something that's palatable to even me, an avowed honey hater.

When I threw this together, I stuck my finger in it to monitor the temp, tasted it, and thought, "Eh...tolerably better than straight honey, but it's still very much honey."

When, however, I added it to my pancakes this morning...that really made the difference to me. Gasp! I actually...liked it. Oh my...

I asked MrsT her opinion and was surprised to hear her say this would be an acceptable alternative to pure maple syrup. As a daughter of syrup country (upstate NY), she knows her syrup and she puts it on everything, and before today, any syrup headed for a pancake had to be maple-based. No substitutes.

Apparently, that has changed. If you knew my wife IRL, you'd know that carries considerable weight.

Any leftovers would work in a cake recipe, or cookies, over ice cream or a cobbler (or a crisp/crumble), or even as a glaze for some pork chops (which may be where this is headed).
That is how I always enjoy my pancakes. I gave up syrup several years ago after discovering how much better honey tastes on pancakes, waffles, etc. Yes, I think it's waaaaay better even than pure maple syrup.

You need a sweet-n-salty snack to go with that cocktail we had earlier:

Recipe - Honey-Glazed Snack Mix

Not much to say, sort of a scaled-down version of Chex party mix, consisting of just honey and butter for the coating.

We had this with our Saturday Night At The Movies (Deathstalker, 1983) night. Was a pleasant change from popcorn.

ETA: This is a lot better the next day. We've been munching on it all day.

Last edited:
You need a sweet-n-salty snack to go with that cocktail we had earlier:

Recipe - Honey-Glazed Snack Mix

View attachment 67974

View attachment 67975

Not much to say, sort of a scaled-down version of Chex party mix, consisting of just honey and butter for the coating.

We had this with our Saturday Night At The Movies (Deathstalker, 1983) night. Was a pleasant change from popcorn.
It really looks like a yum idea.
As a kid I loved feta sprinkled with sugar over any pasta,the salty and sweet clash was amazing.

When a single cocktail just isn't enough:

Retro Recipe - Charleston Brown Water Society Punch

This is a serious drink. A sit down, shut up, and pay attention to me drink. And you'll keep coming back again and again to hear what this drink has to say.

What really makes this, IMO, is the flavor of the honey and the orange together. It's sweet and fruity without being inconsequential or lightweight. This is an assertive tipple, but the citrus and honey really make it feel like you're not misbehaving too much.

It's no secret MrsT and I are avowed punch lovers. We usually reserve it for the holidays, but here's one time I'm glad we didn't. This might be the best punch I've made (and I've made a lot of punch). It's that good.

When a single cocktail just isn't enough:

Retro Recipe - Charleston Brown Water Society Punch

This is a serious drink. A sit down, shut up, and pay attention to me drink. And you'll keep coming back again and again to hear what this drink has to say.

What really makes this, IMO, is the flavor of the honey and the orange together. It's sweet and fruity without being inconsequential or lightweight. This is an assertive tipple, but the citrus and honey really make it feel like you're not misbehaving too much.

It's no secret MrsT and I are avowed punch lovers. We usually reserve it for the holidays, but here's one time I'm glad we didn't. This might be the best punch I've made (and I've made a lot of punch). It's that good.
How many times did you keep "coming back again" to pour another? Looks delightful! I love honey and citrus, damn skippy that they go together well, I use them in my morning tea regularly. Never thought about the whiskey. Nice.

How many times did you keep "coming back again" to pour another? Looks delightful! I love honey and citrus, damn skippy that they go together well, I use them in my morning tea regularly. Never thought about the whiskey. Nice.
We're on our third. I've got to start supper soon, but I'm just not motivated. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom