The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: honey

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:04 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is honey (or suitable vegan alternative) and Hemulen is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* using honey or a suitable vegan alternative, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Thursday 12th August, UK time (GMT +1). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

*recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

It's been less than two years (September 2019) since murphyscreek chose the same main ingredient (link) but I hope ya'all hons are eager to make more experiments with honey (made mouth-to-mouth in bee hives from nectar) or vegan equivalent.

Lots of new members since then. I'm sure it will be fine. BTW, if the deadline doesn't suit you Hemulen we can adjust it.

I really dislike honey on its own - the taste, texture, even the smell put me right off. However, I use it a lot as an ingredient. For that, it's essential, so I'm sure I'll find something to submit. I already have a couple of ideas to, shall we say, sweeten the pot.

3a4c31075aa8ad3cab6cec4863ed3018.gif

There's nothing to go buy here, as I use honey quite frequently, - to sweeten coffee and as both sweetener and syrup/glaze on different things. The real bother here is trying to come up with something unique, given that I have used honey so frequently, for various things.

I am interested in seeing what people come up with. I know I have cooked with honey once or twice, but can't recall what.

I love a good dry mead, and would like to try my hand at mead for this challenge, but the recipe time to make mead is far more significantly longer than 3 weeks.

But I have to admit that nearly every time I made a recipe that called for honey... I subbed in maple syrup. But I am fascinated to watch!

BTW, congrats Hemulen!!!

Sadly I too have already posted my favourite honey (equivalent) recipe almost 7 years ago!

Those greek honey shortbread cakes that are made for Christmas. Sticky, very sweet and very addictive and made in massive numbers...

Recipe - Melomakarona (Greek Honey Cookies)

Back
Top Bottom