The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Juniper Berries and/or Gin

Status
Not open for further replies.
B9FA4284-34EA-437D-9362-C8DEE6A57217.jpeg

Detroit River Blues Gin - that’s right: I made gin. I will post the recipe when I regain consciousness. In case you're wondering why my gin is brown and murky whereas, say, Bombay Sapphire is clear: have you ever seen the Detroit River?

Last edited:
60A50293-729C-4699-8842-175E16A6FED2.jpeg

50-50: My gin makes it the cooler cousin of a normal 50-50. This is a real man’s drink. There’s no trying to pretty it up with something sweet. This one punches you right in the mouth. The more you sip, the more you will start to like it.

I don’t mean to offend the ladies here. I’m not saying a “man’s drink” is somehow unsuitable for ladies. I’m describing it this way because it evokes a different era: It’s Mad Men and Dean Martin with every sip.

You will gradually become cooler the more you drink. At least, you will start to think that when you drink a lot of it.

And, yes, that is a slice of grapefruit. I know that grapefruit is huge for most glasses, but the martini glass was wide enough and I liked how it worked (normally, a twist of lemon is used, but this citrus makes a good stand-in).

Last edited:
I have juniper bushes outside. Then I went and looked on Google - not all juniper berries are good to eat. So... not going to harvest that might be existing on my own (they came with the property, so no idea if those bushes are just simply decorative or not...)

Yeah - be careful!

This will be a challenge. I do not like Gin so I am leery about Juniper Berries. I have both Teal and Mallard in the freezer. I am leaning to the Mallard. I am researching recipes and trying to decide exactly how to incorporate the Juniper Berries. My Baby Brother would go nuts over this challenge. :laugh:
I was at my inlaws a couple of months ago sitting outside and I was sitting next to a juniper bush. I was admiring how pretty it was and I touched the branches and the berries, and asked what it was. They told me it was juniper. We were having an outdoor social distancing dinner and were eating takeout pizza, so my fingers touched my mouth and the food after touching the bush. I may have touched other parts of my face, I don't remember. But, the next morning I woke up with a rash on my face, swollen lips, and my eyes were red-rimmed (more like purple) and swollen shut. Several doses of benedryl and a few hours later I was much better. It was a few days before I looked completely normal again.

I am only assuming I am allergic to juniper, but what else could it be? I hear that in parts of Texas (Austin) where cedar grows rampantly there are many, many people who are allergic to cedar, which is a close relative of juniper. Not trying to scare you, but be careful.

Oh, and I hate gin, too, always have. Never drank enough of it to see if it made me have an allergic reaction because I could not get past the first sip.

I was at my inlaws a couple of months ago sitting outside and I was sitting next to a juniper bush. I was admiring how pretty it was and I touched the branches and the berries, and asked what it was. They told me it was juniper. We were having an outdoor social distancing dinner and were eating takeout pizza, so my fingers touched my mouth and the food after touching the bush. I may have touched other parts of my face, I don't remember. But, the next morning I woke up with a rash on my face, swollen lips, and my eyes were red-rimmed (more like purple) and swollen shut. Several doses of benedryl and a few hours later I was much better. It was a few days before I looked completely normal again.

I am only assuming I am allergic to juniper, but what else could it be? I hear that in parts of Texas (Austin) where cedar grows rampantly there are many, many people who are allergic to cedar, which is a close relative of juniper. Not trying to scare you, but be careful.

Oh, and I hate gin, too, always have. Never drank enough of it to see if it made me have an allergic reaction because I could not get past the first sip.

Looking this up, I think it is the pollen to which people are allergic. Eating the berries shouldn't be an issue (in moderation).

I didn't eat them. I have been to their house 100s of times and never touched that juniper bush, never even noticed it. I've sat next to it and had no problems...I've never had any issues with stuff growing in their yard before now. Yes, it may have been pollen, but all I saw were berries on this bush, no flowers.

I did see where the berries can cause allergic reactions. It's probably not a typical thing at all, but I am not going to chance it. I have mild sinus allergies from grass and tree pollen where my eyes water a little, I sneeze and get sniffles. I have never had anything like this happen to me before where my face swelled like that.

From what I have just read, overall there are multiple health benefits for most people. However, I also found the following information here: The Health Benefits of Juniper Berries

Possible Side Effects
There are very few documented side effects on record from juniper berries (other than allergic symptoms) which include:
  • a skin rash
  • trouble breathing
  • kidney damage (from excessive use)
  • increase in blood sugar levels (diabetics should use with caution and the healthcare provider should be notified before using)
If allergic symptoms occur after the use of juniper berries, it’s important to seek medical care before continuing use.

I did not have any trouble breathing and am not a diabetic...but definitely had a very severe rash.

Edited to add that it can cause interactions with certain medications as well so best to check on that as well.

Last edited:
You made your own, plus labels???

Russ
Yes, although it sounds like some on this forum are doubting that it is an actual gin. It does fit the definition of how to make a homemade gin, and it absolutely tastes like gin. I thought it was going to be harsh when I sampled a little bit of it partway through, but giving it the full 48 hours to steep resulted in a very smooth, drinkable liquor.

Distilling your own spirits at home is illegal in United States, and as much as I want to win this challenge, I don’t want to celebrate my victory in prison.

About the label, I may have borrowed from the design of a certain well-known gin in a blue bottle. So, if making my own alcohol illegally doesn’t get me, maybe copyright infringement will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom