The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Juniper Berries and/or Gin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:43 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is juniper berries and/or gin. and TastyReuben is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe containing juniper berries and/or gin as a new thread, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Friday 16th October UK time (GMT +1). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Last edited:
You can still make some recipes. I did a search and I've got 3 recipes with juniper berries in the title here:

Braised Fennel with Mushrooms, Juniper and Sage
Cabbage Wedge Stuffed with Juniper Butter 'en Papillote'
Juniper Potatoes

All seem to be vegetable based - though I probably have other recipes with game here which use juniper.
I was just looking online and found several cakes with juniper berries. That's what has me intrigued. I use them in sauerkraut and with pork, but never a cake.

I was just looking online and found several cakes with juniper berries. That's what has me intrigued. I use them in sauerkraut and with pork, but never a cake.

I noticed that too. If only I had people here who ate cake! Despite that I may experiment with a sweet recipe.

Anyway - hands up those of you who have never used juniper berries... :)

This will be a challenge. I do not like Gin so I am leery about Juniper Berries. I have both Teal and Mallard in the freezer. I am leaning to the Mallard. I am researching recipes and trying to decide exactly how to incorporate the Juniper Berries. My Baby Brother would go nuts over this challenge. :laugh:

This will be a challenge. I do not like Gin so I am leery about Juniper Berries. I have both Teal and Mallard in the freezer. I am leaning to the Mallard. I am researching recipes and trying to decide exactly how to incorporate the Juniper Berries. My Baby Brother would go nuts over this challenge. :laugh:
For the record, I use them with sauerkraut and also with pork, and neither comes out tasting of gin.

The cook, OTOH, sometimes does. 🥴

Here´s my entry: Ceviche propio de Hemulen.

Well, looks like I have a few weeks off. I hate juniper berries. Don't even like the smell. :thumbsdown:

Then again, I never got my a$$ in gear for the last challenge... but at least I wanted to. :D

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom