The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Juniper Berries and/or Gin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at my inlaws a couple of months ago sitting outside and I was sitting next to a juniper bush. I was admiring how pretty it was and I touched the branches and the berries, and asked what it was. They told me it was juniper. We were having an outdoor social distancing dinner and were eating takeout pizza, so my fingers touched my mouth and the food after touching the bush. I may have touched other parts of my face, I don't remember. But, the next morning I woke up with a rash on my face, swollen lips, and my eyes were red-rimmed (more like purple) and swollen shut. Several doses of benedryl and a few hours later I was much better. It was a few days before I looked completely normal again.

I am only assuming I am allergic to juniper, but what else could it be? I hear that in parts of Texas (Austin) where cedar grows rampantly there are many, many people who are allergic to cedar, which is a close relative of juniper. Not trying to scare you, but be careful.

Oh, and I hate gin, too, always have. Never drank enough of it to see if it made me have an allergic reaction because I could not get past the first sip.

A lot of people are allergic to juniper, or at least the pollen. Austin in autumn is a juniper/cedar pollen nightmare for people, who like me, are allergic to it. Since I don't like the taste of the berries, I don't eat them, so I don't know how they would affect me.

And, as Mountain Cat said, there are some varieties of juniper that produce edible berries, but not all. If you don't know for sure, don't eat them.

CD

Distilling your own spirits at home is illegal in United States, and as much as I want to win this challenge, I don’t want to celebrate my victory in prison.

About the label, I may have borrowed from the design of a certain well-known gin in a blue bottle. So, if making my own alcohol illegally doesn’t get me, maybe copyright infringement will.

Actually, it is legal in some states. There are limitations on how much one household can make, and you can't sell it or give it away in quantity. I have a friend who makes moonshine, and it is perfectly legal, as long as he stays within the limits. He can share a bottle with a bunch of us sitting around a campfire, but he can't give us all a bottle. That's how I understand it.

As for copyright laws, I deal with them all the time, and for you to get "busted" for making a label for fun and laughs would be extremely unlikely. :wink:

CD

Yes, although it sounds like some on this forum are doubting that it is an actual gin. It does fit the definition of how to make a homemade gin, and it absolutely tastes like gin. I thought it was going to be harsh when I sampled a little bit of it partway through, but giving it the full 48 hours to steep resulted in a very smooth, drinkable liquor.

Distilling your own spirits at home is illegal in United States, and as much as I want to win this challenge, I don’t want to celebrate my victory in prison.

About the label, I may have borrowed from the design of a certain well-known gin in a blue bottle. So, if making my own alcohol illegally doesn’t get me, maybe copyright infringement will.
So you're the "tickle" of cooking bites,lmao.

Russ

Yes, although it sounds like some on this forum are doubting that it is an actual gin. It does fit the definition of how to make a homemade gin, and it absolutely tastes like gin. I thought it was going to be harsh when I sampled a little bit of it partway through, but giving it the full 48 hours to steep resulted in a very smooth, drinkable liquor.

You get points for being the CB "Bad Boy" - making hooch, running afoul of copyright laws...what next, ripping mattress tags off at the Serta shop?!?! 😱😬

Juniper (in every form) may cause allergy in some individuals. Usually it is the case of general Pinaceae-, Cupressaceae- ja Taxodiaceae family allergy. There are many garden varieties of juniper; some of them might be more toxic than others so the berries should be picked from only natural junipers (Juniperus communis). I'm curious to know if JAS_OH1 can consume pine kernels(?). The toxicity level is so low that normally only pregnant women, people who are allergic to plants of the Cupressaceae family and those with severe health issues have to be cautious. No-one should eat dozens of juniper berries daily for more than two weeks in a row.

Juniper berries are used widely in Finland as junipers are common. The berries are mainly used in gin distilleries (a growing trend), with venison and in herring pickles. I've never heard of anyone getting symptoms from juniper berries before.

Pickled herring with crushed juniper berries.
Photo credit: nakumaku

Edit: One Finnish gin distillery (the producer of "Lójhtu – The Magical Gin of Lapland") asked Finns to do voluntary work (berry picking) to get enough juniper berries for production. Haven't bothered... I used Kyrö Napue gin in my clementine drink.

Last edited:
You get points for being the CB "Bad Boy" - making hooch, running afoul of copyright laws...what next, ripping mattress tags off at the Serta shop?!?! 😱😬
I was considering using a broadcast without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, but I think I'd better pace myself.

That looks great! I have a chicken recipe lined up to try at some point that cooks the chicken in beer and uses a good amount of juniper berries, and goes on a bed of puréed celeriac. It's the recipe that got me thinking juniper berries as a challenge ingredient in the first place.

That looks great! I have a chicken recipe lined up to try at some point that cooks the chicken in beer and uses a good amount of juniper berries, and goes on a bed of puréed celeriac. It's the recipe that got me thinking juniper berries as a challenge ingredient in the first place.

Sounds lovely. Juniper goes well with anise flavours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom