The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Juniper Berries and/or Gin

Status
Not open for further replies.
JAS_OH, I'm glad you were okay. I have a ton of allergies, some life-threatening, but the scariest ones are the ones for which I cannot identify what caused it. How do you know what to avoid if you don't know the source? Yikes.

Edited to add: I've had gin when I tried an arthritis home remedy for gin-soaked raisins. Never again. The taste is worse then the pain. LOL

30698555-6D14-4769-A05D-82D1DF8B4DD0.jpeg

Gravlax - thank you, Hemulen, for the inspiration.

I have a confession to make. I've fallen in love with this rub. It might not be healthy psychologically to be this enamored with a rub. But, this is a really good rub, with juniper berries (duh), gin (double duh), zest from lime, lemon, orange, and grapefruit, fresh dill, sugar, and salt. I want to use it as cologne. On crackers, it's like a mini bagel and lox. Served with pickled leeks and capers.

Last edited:
I'm curious to know if JAS_OH1 can consume pine kernels(?). The toxicity level is so low that normally only pregnant women, people who are allergic to plants of the Cupressaceae family and those with severe health issues have to be cautious. No-one should eat dozens of juniper berries daily for more than two weeks in a row.

Juniper berries are used widely in Finland as junipers are common. The berries are mainly used in gin distilleries (a growing trend), with venison and in herring pickles. I've never heard of anyone getting symptoms from juniper berries before.

View attachment 47205
Pickled herring with crushed juniper berries.
Photo credit: nakumaku

Edit: One Finnish gin distillery (the producer of "Lójhtu – The Magical Gin of Lapland") asked Finns to do voluntary work (berry picking) to get enough juniper berries for production. Haven't bothered... I used Kyrö Napue gin in my clementine drink.
Yes, no troubles with pine nuts or other tree nuts. And I didn't know about the juniper because I had never been around it to my knowledge. And still don't know if the berries would cause a reaction or not but really not too eager to take the risk and find out. Some of these dishes look absolutely lovely, though.

Yes, no troubles with pine nuts or other tree nuts. And I didn't know about the juniper because I had never been around it to my knowledge. And still don't know if the berries would cause a reaction or not but really not too eager to take the risk and find out. Some of these dishes look absolutely lovely, though.

Pine nuts are right off my dietary radar. I assume juniper berries will be okay as I don't have a bad reaction to gin.

But I just won't over-indulge, and won't leave the home for the rest of the day, should there be a problem with the berries themselves.

I found some mahi mahi (a type of tuna) in the frozen fish section of the supermarket when I showed up today.

I am planning to use juniper berries AND gin in my recipe. I have to wait for the juniper berries to arrive from Amazon.
Mahi Mahi is also known as dolphin (not the mammal) but I had no idea it was a relative of the tuna.

Edited to add that it's not related to the tuna. I was wondering about that since I grew up in the Florida panhandle and have been catching them and eating them my whole life. They are related to pompano, which makes far more sense.

"The mahi-mahi (/ˈmɑːhiːˈmɑːhiː/)[3] or common dolphinfish[2] (Coryphaena hippurus) is a surface-dwelling ray-finned fish found in off-shore temperate, tropical, and subtropical waters worldwide. Also widely called dorado (not to be confused with Salminus brasiliensis, a fresh water fish) and dolphin, it is one of two members of the family Coryphaenidae, the other being the pompano dolphinfish. These fish are most commonly found in the waters around the Gulf of Mexico, Costa Rica, Hawaii and Indian Ocean."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom