The CookingBites recipe challenge: minced/ground meat or fish (or meat alternative)

Pork Tikka Patties with Easy Garlic Naan

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer is the time for cook outs and picnics. Burgers are required. We buy 82/18 ground/minced black angus beef. I have a burger press. I make 1/3 lb. burgers. Great for hamburgers and for burger steaks.
What is a "burger steak". Burgers to me are ground/minced meat, and a steak is a slab of meat that isn't ground up, and can be cooked fast and hot (as opposed to low and slow). Confuzzled.

What is a "burger steak". Burgers to me are ground/minced meat, and a steak is a slab of meat that isn't ground up, and can be cooked fast and hot (as opposed to low and slow). Confuzzled.
Basically it's still ground beef and sometimes chopped steak is added for extra texture but without the bun and with accompaniments that would normally be served with a steak. So maybe fried onions, mushrooms and often a gravy is made and mashed potatoes seems to be a popular starch.

Here, that would be called a chopped steak - basically, a big burger patty, but no bun or anything.

When I was a teenager and my parents started going out to eat more, my mom always like the old cafeteria-style steakhouses, like Ponderosa and Bonanza, if you remember those. You’d order your steak from a picture menu up on the wall, then push a tray through a line for other items to go with it.

I always wanted to get one of those cuts of meat I’d only ever seen on TV…ribeye…T-bone…Sir Loin…and I’d try and order one and my dad would cuff me a good one and then order me the cheapest steak they had…chopped steak.

IMG_5695.JPG

When I make grilled Hamburgers, I'm using 1 pound of ground Beef.
I make 4 patties.
We'll have 2 on buns as a straight up 'Burger' and the other 2 as shown (or similar) above.

Basically it's still ground beef and sometimes chopped steak is added for extra texture but without the bun and with accompaniments that would normally be served with a steak. So maybe fried onions, mushrooms and often a gravy is made and mashed potatoes seems to be a popular starch.
I actually prefer my burgers without buns - but I would never consider them a "burger steak". Just burgers without buns. No need for gravy or mashed potatoes - just pull mine off a grill, and give me good dill pickles and mustard!
I'm confused to - do you mean if they are not in a bun they are called burger steaks (but they are the same otherwise)?
Not here, anyway. Although I did get called "unpatriotic" one year at a 4th of July grill date when I also declined ketchup. I *think* the person was joking.

Back
Top Bottom