The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

we grow pumpkin in our backyards and, Though pumpkin is not my favorite vegetable, I don't hate pumpkin.. My mother makes many pumpkin dishes and I hope to ask her about pumpkin recipe and publish the recipe here.

I'm hoping that pumpkin includes other winter squashes as it is not easy to find pumpkin at this time of year in the UK. We ca easily get this one:

squash.jpg

I'm hoping that pumpkin includes other winter squashes as it is not easy to find pumpkin at this time of year in the UK. We ca easily get this one:

View attachment 2397
My suspicion was that it was solely the pumpkin variety of squashes, sadly. But the truth be told any recipe saying squash will be able to use pumpkin and vice versa.

Marrow.jpg

Pepo Var. Fastigata
Cream to dark green color, short round fruit with a slightly broad apex.

Pumpkin.jpeg

Pepo Var. Pepo Pumpkin
Round, oblate, or oval shape and round or flat on the ends.

Pumpkin was the choice of the judge, I say we stick with that choice. Otherwise the competition itself loses it's meaning."Don't like what was picked, I'll chose something else along similar lines". On that basis, the Green Marrow(Top) could be entered into the competition, both are the same family, Cucurbita. Only one of the two was chosen however, picture included of a slice of pumpkin.

View attachment 2401
Pepo Var. Fastigata
Cream to dark green color, short round fruit with a slightly broad apex.
View attachment 2402
Pepo Var. Pepo Pumpkin
Round, oblate, or oval shape and round or flat on the ends.

Pumpkin was the choice of the judge, I say we stick with that choice. Otherwise the competition itself loses it's meaning."Don't like what was picked, I'll chose something else along similar lines". On that basis, the Green Marrow(Top) could be entered into the competition, both are the same family, Cucurbita. Only one of the two was chosen however, picture included of a slice of pumpkin.
Thoroughly agreed.

On that basis, the Green Marrow(Top) could be entered into the competition, both are the same family, Cucurbita. Only one of the two was chosen however, picture included of a slice of pumpkin.

Well as pumpkin has more than one variety, any form of pumpkin will be accepted for the competition. I am more familiar with the one in the first photo, however.

Well as pumpkin has more than one variety, any form of pumpkin will be accepted for the competition. I am more familiar with the one in the first photo, however.
Caribbean Girl. I think the best option here is that we stick with what is known as a 'pumpkin'. The family of them is known, in the UK at least, as a squash of which the pumpkin is the traditional Halloween round and orange version which is what you originally named.

So, I think that the competition should run with what both Google and wiki come up with for pumpkin, namely Cucurbita pepo, vario pepo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin

To clarify, this one please.

images.jpg

Caribbean Girl. I think the best option here is that we stick with what is known as a 'pumpkin'. The family of them is known, in the UK at least, as a squash of which the pumpkin is the traditional Halloween round and orange version which is what you originally named.

So, I think that the competition should run with what both Google and wiki come up with for pumpkin, namely Cucurbita pepo, vario pepo

Okay. Well that settles it then.

So, I think that the competition should run with what both Google and wiki come up with for pumpkin, namely Cucurbita pepo, vario pepo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin

To clarify, this one please.

View attachment 2405
If that's the case can someone advise where I can buy Pumpkin right now in the UK! Otherwise I'm unable to cook my entries.... :( And I was looking forward to it... lots of ideas!

If that's the case can someone advise where I can buy Pumpkin right now in the UK! Otherwise I'm unable to cook my entries.... :( And I was looking forward to it... lots of ideas!
Agreed that it is not going to be that easy, but then some of the other ingredients have not been available in other countries either, so in that aspect it plus us on a level footing. However you can purchased tinned pumpkin puree in the UK which will at least give you some options if you wish to cook all of your entries.

Agreed that it is not going to be that easy, but then some of the other ingredients have not been available in other countries either, so in that aspect it plus us on a level footing. However you can purchased tinned pumpkin puree in the UK which will at least give you some options if you wish to cook all of your entries.
I haven't yet found the tinned puree - seems no longer stocked by Sainsbury's and Tesco and Waitrose. But look what I discovered: It seems that pumpkin puree is not always made of pumpkins.

The USDA is actually pretty lenient with its distinction between pumpkin and squash. Here's their take on the contents of canned puree: "The canned product prepared from clean, sound, properly matured, golden fleshed, firm shelled, sweet varieties of either pumpkins and squashes by washing, stemming, cutting, steaming and reducing to a pulp."

The term "pumpkin" can apply to two of the three varieties of winter squash - C pepo and C maxima. Within these two varieties you'll find Connecticut field pumpkins, Dickinson pumpkins, Kentucky field pumpkins, as well as Boston marrow squash, and Golden Delicious squash

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-actually-in-your-canned-pumpkin-puree-ingredient-intelligence-69123

Back
Top Bottom