The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

Calypso Rice

upload_2016-2-23_10-39-22.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its quite a quirky dish really. The way of doing the swede makes it really nutty and sweet. I think to do a vegan version you could use vegetable oil instead of butter - perhaps substitute marinated tofu for the cheese.
I'm not sure that tofu would cut through the sweetness like a good Feta would. Perhaps some pureed cashew nuts and lemon juice. It would be a touch thinner but could still be done in dollops similar to a touch double cream but would have a more sour sharp taste that tofu just lacks in my experience. I also think pureed cashew nuts taste much nicer than silken tofuwhich would really be the only other option I can think of to mix with a touch of lemon (or lime) juice for that sharp taste Feta had.

I also corrected your post from vegetarian to vegan, your recipe is already vegetarian and I know you meant dairy free for me.. Thank you.

I'm not sure that tofu would cut through the sweetness like a good Feta would. Perhaps some pureed cashew nuts and lemon juice. It would be a touch thinner but could still be done in dollops similar to a touch double cream but would have a more sour sharp taste that tofu just lacks in my experience. I also think pureed cashew nuts taste much nicer than silken tofuwhich would really be the only other option I can think of to mix with a touch of lemon (or lime) juice for that sharp taste Feta had.

I also corrected your post from vegetarian to vegan, your recipe is already vegetarian and I know you meant dairy free for me.. Thank you.
I was thinking of you! Yes...vegan is correct. Your mentioning nuts got me thinking and I found this! :
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/almond-feta-cheese-with-herb-oil/

I was thinking of you! Yes...vegan is correct. Your mentioning nuts got me thinking and I found this! :
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/almond-feta-cheese-with-herb-oil/
Thank you.
It looks interesting. I haven't used almonds in that context before I guess mostly because I buy cashew nuts in bulk and have used them successfully many times before, but that was more or less what I was thinking. You always soak nuts to shown them before puréeing or blending them to a silken purée so the idea is the same. I'm not sure about adding the oil, but frequently add the rest of the ingredients to my cashew nut purée to make a flavoured cashew nut cheese hence the idea. I often add nutritional yeast but if I was to bake it m then I wouldn't add the nutritional yeast because the goodness and benefit of it would be lost cooking it. The only thing I can see baking it would do would be to dry it out which could be very interesting tbh. Sometimes it is easiest to add too much water simply to blend it all better and more easily to a silken purée but the water rarely releases afterwards even with hanging and/or squeezing! Next time I have blanched almonds around I may give it a try. I miss Feta.

Back
Top Bottom