The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

Looks fantastic, will give this a go this week!
I've slightly amended the quantities of ingredients as I made one typo and didn't state quantity of Balti spice mix. If you can't get all ingredients for the spice mix don't worry. It will still taste good. There are loads of different Balti spice mixes. For a short cut and because I make a lot of curries I use garlic and ginger paste from a jar. Very cheap from Tesco's on-line although not always available in store. Nishaan Ginger Garlic Paste 283G (£1.39). They do a garlic paste as well. Very useful for all kinds of things!
IDShot_110x110.jpg

Not so many entries as usual but nevertheless a difficult decision to decide the best lentil recipe submitted for The CookingBites Recipe Challenge.

In the end I decided to award the title to one of our newest members @zoribrida , who submitted her recipe for Red Lentils. I chose this because it is a foolproof recipe which I think should be a basic in every cook's repertoire. It can be jazzed up in lots and lots of ways by adding more spices, vegetables or meat (ham or sausage is good) so its very versatile. Its also a very economical dish - and red lentils are probably the most available of all lentils across the world (mainly grown in Canada, I learned).

I have to confess I didn't try out @cupcakechef's submission, Lentil Blondies, but I feel it deserves a special mention. Who would have thought of creating Blondies from lentils? I did test run @winterybella's Creamy French Lentils with Mushroom and Kale, which is a good recipe although I had to adapt it slightly. To see detailed comments go to Creamy French Lentils with Mushrooms and Kale (revisited). Its well worth making.

Another special mention for @Caribbean girl who submitted Cashew and lentil patties. Lentil patties are something everyone ought to be able to cook and the variations are endless. I'm not keen on cashews though (that's just me!).

Many congratulations @zoribrida! :bravo::woot:. Its over to you to choose a new ingredient and set a deadline for the next round!

Congratulations zoribridal. I too liked the recipe which you entered for the challenge since it was a nice, simple recipe and would even make a good entree for a dinner. I now eagerly look forward to the next ingredient for the challenge.

Oh, thank you so much everyone! This came as such a surprise! I never expected to win with such a simple recipe:) Thank you so much! Now I feel more motivated than ever to enter my kitchen and do some cooking:) For the next ingredient I choose ground beef. I love having some browned ground beef in my freezer, but most often end up using it for Bolognese sauce. I would love to see and try out your ideas. Looking forward to your entries!
@morning glory Thank you once again for choosing my recipe:)
The deadline is 17.04.2016.

Oh, thank you so much everyone! This came as such a surprise! I never expected to win with such a simple recipe:) Thank you so much! Now I feel more motivated than ever to enter my kitchen and do some cooking:) For the next ingredient I choose ground beef. I love having some browned ground beef in my freezer, but most often end up using it for Bolognese sauce. I would love to see and try out your ideas. Looking forward to your entries!
@morning glory Thank you once again for choosing my recipe:)
The deadline is 17.04.2016.
Excellent. Ground beef is generally known as minced beef in the UK. I have some in the fridge right now!

Can someone please tell me how many entries are showing under the tag for this competition. I thought i had cleared them all out, except for the current comp but my browser despite having cleared all the histories, cookies and data is still showing entries for the last 2 ingredients and I was wondering if it was specific to my tablet or a more general issue please.

Screenshot_2016-04-05-09-13-56.png

Can someone please tell me how many entries are showing under the tag for this competition. I thought i had cleared them all out, except for the current comp but my browser despite having cleared all the histories, cookies and data is still showing entries for the last 2 ingredients and I was wondering if it was specific to my tablet or a more general issue please.

View attachment 2532
Right now its just showing the two recipe posted by @Caribbean girl for the current challenge, plus your intro post. When I looked last week it was showing the previous two rounds of entries (lentils and pumpkin).

Right now its just showing the two recipe posted by @Caribbean girl for the current challenge, plus your intro post. When I looked last week it was showing the previous two rounds of entries (lentils and pumpkin).
Thanks. Today it is showing correctly for me as well. Guess it was a browser issue at my end which is what I suspected all along.

Back
Top Bottom