The CookingBites recipe challenge: nuts or seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:29 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is nuts or seeds* and The Late Night Gourmet is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** using nuts or seeds (note separate tags), tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Entries exceeding the limit will be disqualified.

Extended deadline: 10pm Monday 6th December, UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

*detail to follow concerning the judge's definition of nuts and suitable alternatives for those with allergies
(Mod note - now clarified to include culinary nuts or culinary seeds for everyone).

** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Last edited:
I generally don't like nuts baked in things (cakes, cookies, etc), though there are a couple of exceptions.

I'm also not crazy about nuts in savory dishes. I don't know where a salad fits in with that.

What's a boy to do? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'll think of something, especially if non-nut nuts are allowed.

Salmon Persimmon Walnut Umami Slaw

full.jpg

I generally don't like nuts baked in things (cakes, cookies, etc), though there are a couple of exceptions.

I'm also not crazy about nuts in savory dishes. I don't know where a salad fits in with that.

What's a boy to do? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'll think of something, especially if non-nut nuts are allowed.

Well, now I am especially interested in seeing what you have to post.

Now, what’s a non-nut nut?

Peanuts (legume) or sunflower seeds, maybe. They seem to always get lumped in with nuts. Are either/both of those allowed?

I'm not sure sunflower seeds get lumped in with nuts (in my experience) but they would be a good sub for those allergic to nuts (see top post). Also coconuts... which are not technically nuts.

I think SatNavSaysStraightOn made a good point - options for those who are truly allergic to nuts. Seeds, pine nuts fall into that category, coconut. Maybe have a discussion with Mountain Cat and any others who do have allergies.
People with tree nut allergies are not always allergic to peanuts and vice versa. The problem is that most processors process both in the same facility. Cross contamination.
IDK what nuts are indigenous to Mountain Cat region. Pecans are indigenous to my region. If I were allergic to peanuts but not tree nuts I have family and friends with pecan trees and could harvest my own nuts with no risk of contamination.
Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom