The CookingBites recipe challenge: oranges

Recipe - Blood orange and beet salad

20230204_174344.jpg

I hope I made it!!! Mine is "Another Orange Chicken" and you can find it here: Recipe - Another Orange Chicken
Let me know what y'all thing.
I've got you entered. There were a couple of little extra steps to get entered (adding recipe prefix to recipe post, adding challenge tag), but I took care of that for you. Thanks for the submission! :okay:

Ok, we really are closing in on the deadline - midnight tonight GMT/7PM EST/6PM CST/5PM MST/4PM PST/11AM (Monday) DUST* (I think).

*Down Under Standard Time
It's pretty easy to suss at this time of year (Australia on daylight saving where they have it) and the UK on GMT. just remember that Australia is always ahead of the UK.

Aus to UK: +1 and switch AM for PM or PM for AM minus a day
UK TO Aus: -1 and switch AM for PM or PM for AM plus a day

Oh and that only works for the east coast because we've got loads of time zones and half time zones... (Adelaide is 30 minutes behind Canberra for example)

I've got you entered. There were a couple of little extra steps to get entered (adding recipe prefix to recipe post, adding challenge tag), but I took care of that for you. Thanks for the submission! :okay:
Ohhhhh thank you so much! I just wanted to share it. I just happened to be on the computer at 2 am :D and wasn't sure.
It's pretty easy to suss at this time of year (Australia on daylight saving where they have it) and the UK on GMT. just remember that Australia is always ahead of the UK.

Aus to UK: +1 and switch AM for PM or PM for AM minus a day
UK TO Aus: -1 and switch AM for PM or PM for AM plus a day

Oh and that only works for the east coast because we've got loads of time zones and half time zones... (Adelaide is 30 minutes behind Canberra for example)
You have no idea how helpful that is to know! So, now for the West Coast in the US... Do you mind sharing how I could do that? I live in LA. It's just a curiosity if there is an easy way, like yours.

Ok, that’s the official end of the orange challenge.

Thanks to everyone for participating, I’ll get a decision posted by this time tomorrow.

Ohhhhh thank you so much! I just wanted to share it. I just happened to be on the computer at 2 am :D and wasn't sure.

You have no idea how helpful that is to know! So, now for the West Coast in the US... Do you mind sharing how I could do that? I live in LA. It's just a curiosity if there is an easy way, like yours.
If you're after what time it is for me, right now, then the easiest way is to click my profile name and you'll see something called (member's) local time.

Screenshot_20230206_115909_Chrome.jpg

So it's just after 5pm for you right now. It's just after midday for me, so the calculation would be always yesterday but 5 hours later (hope that makes sense, add 5hrs and go back 1 day! )

Last edited:
Gather round, gather round, I've made my decision. And the winner is...

...but first, some pre-announcement announcements:

I really love oranges and just about anything orange-flavored. I'd say an orange is my favorite fresh fruit, except they're hard to peel, and I don't always like fussing with them, but for pure flavor...an orange it is. I like oranges so much, I even like that artificial orange flavoring found in candies, cakes, and soft drinks. YUM!

As always, there were a lot of outstanding entries this challenge. I can honestly say that I've bookmarked more recipes submitted here than I have from all the other challenges (since 2019, when I joined up) combined. I love oranges!

Ok, enough of that, onto the recipes:

I don't normally name a top three, or honorable mentions, or anything like that, and I'm not going to now, because if I did, I'd just list all the recipes. One excellent indicator of a good challenge, though...I can construct a good 3-course meal from the entries, and this one didn't disappoint (I can actually construct several good 3-course meals!). We've got a cocktail, we've got salads, we've got some main courses, and (as expected) a load of desserts. We've got meats, we've got vegan/vegetarian, we've got hot, we've got cold, we've got sweet, we've got savory. A huge round of applause to all the participants for bringing such variety to the challenge.

Ok, I promise, here comes the winner...right now...

...and the winner of the Orange Challenge is...none other than...

medtran49 and her recipe for Orange Upside-Down Cake!

This cake, quite frankly, blew me out of the orange jui...I mean, water. It's no doubt mouth-wateringly delicious, but it's a stunner to see as well, a gorgeous creation, almost too pretty to eat...almost.

Congratulations, medtran49 - now it’s your turn to choose the next ingredient and judge the next round. Please choose an ingredient that’s fairly accessible to all our members. It’s fine if you choose an ingredient we’ve had before, so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

Onto the next challenge!

SatNavSaysStraightOn I'm recalling this from you 3 weeks ago, and I thought it meant you'd be sitting out this challenge. But, you've been more active than I've seen you in a long time. Good news for everyone! :)

View attachment 95972
I only cooked 2 of them this time around. Made use of the fact you don't need to cook them and also used freshly squeezed orange juice plus zest. Hubby ate the flesh but complained that the oranges weren't up to much. We were only able to buy imported oranges from USA.

Back
Top Bottom