The CookingBites recipe challenge: oranges

Recipe - Candied orange peel

20230128_122653.jpg

Oohhh…someone’s trying to influence the judge with a delicious cocktail! :whistling:

Well that :D and I've thought about making one for years when I get a craving for a creamcicle and can only find ones made with low fat milk or yogurt. When I get a craving for something in the past, I want what I remember, not some low/no fat alternative. The cocktail popped into my mind immediately when the challenge was posted. I was just waiting to make a trip to the liquor store.

Not letting you down today 😊
View attachment 95595
But.. not winning any prizes either. The mix instructions turned out to be wrong, the mix was too dry to become a dough. So like with homemade speculaas, I added some milk. Then, the mixture was too wet so I added flour. Didn't help much, so in the fridge it went. This was all done in a cold kitchen with cold hands. Left in the fridge for 2 hours.
Still sticky after, so I decided to roll pffefernussen ( kruidnoten in Dutch) instead (TastyReuben knows what they are) which use the same spices.
But, during the baking process my oven disagreed. And so we have this:
View attachment 95596
Wonky shaped, but perfectly tasty and crunchy orange zest speculaas biscuits. Topped with icing sugar.
It would be cool if you could pull all this together into a recipe somehow...after the trauma of the whole experience has faded a bit. :)

If I were cooking for the challenge, I would have, but since I’m not, I’m embracing the sticker shock of two oranges for $7. I’m still getting over the $6 for the two sumos.

$13 for four oranges in less than a week seems outrageous to me, but no doubt, I’ll be back over there in three or four days getting a couple. :laugh:
We get blood oranges occasionally, but I buy them when on sale. Usually about $1 per lb in a 2-3 lb bag. My husband's cousin uses them in savory dishes. He made an appetizer "salad" once with blood oranges, onions, olives, and artichokes with a honey balsamic vinaigrette. It was actually pretty good.

It would be cool if you could pull all this together into a recipe somehow...after the trauma of the whole experience has faded a bit. :)
I intend to, once I am recovered enough. Finally starting medication for the Crohns and rheumatic inflammation this month.

Back
Top Bottom