The CookingBites recipe challenge: oranges

Orange Pesto

OrangePesto.JPG

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I know the both miso and tofu don't feature much in many people's diet! I think I've only got 7 or 8 jars/packets of it in the fridge plus a homemade litre that's maturing in a cupboard somewhere... it's rather like cheese or chillies in that sense, different strengths, different maturity, different base ingredients etc, so I have a dedicated shelf in the fridge for the ones we've found we like. I'm still missing certain types such as barley miso and chickpea miso (my own isn't mature enough yet)... taking it which I still need to make another batch to get that going before too long as well. It will take about 18 months to mature minimum...
I love miso! I don't mind tofu, I just don't get an opportunity to eat it often because hubby doesn't care for it and I tend to cook what I know we both like.

I love miso! I don't mind tofu, I just don't get an opportunity to eat it often because hubby doesn't care for it and I tend to cook what I know we both like.
Tofu is very hit & miss depending on the brand. We used to only like 1 brand of it back in the UK, but coming to Australia totally changed that. Here we even have a brand that we're happy to eat plain as is, straight out of the packet and drained. We'd never ever have done that in the UK. Even hubby will snack on a slice cut off the block from the fridge.

Back in the UK, before we went off cycling, I rather infamously get up and walked out of a Christmas lunch when I was served an entire 400g/14oz block of undrained, lukewarm tofu just put on the dining plate and served with carrots, peas and boiled potatoes. Nothing had been done to it at all, not even sliced!

My step-father still talks about us taking him and my mother to a vegan Vietnamese restaurant that we have "locally". He raves about it according to my mother. We had taken them to various places during the no international flights part of the pandemic and just before they were due to fly home about a week after limited flights returned in the August, they took us out for a goodbye thank you meal. They insisted that we took them to this restaurant because we love it. We'd avoided it for the whole time they were with us because my step father is a notoriously picky eater (seriously so). We dreaded his response to it because it is totally 100% vegan. We taken my in-laws there when they visited last time and my FIL loved it, but my MIL hated it (politely hated it and just picked at food). So we were stunned when he loved it. Even now 2 ½ years on, he still take about it and even tries vegan tofu items when out in the UK, comparing them to this restaurant!

It really, totally depends on the brand and how it is prepared.

Great entries, and what a flurry of submissions the last couple of days! We’re closing in fast on the deadline.

Reminder that the deadline is midnight tonight GMT, so that’s 7PM EST, 6PM CST, etc. I don’t have the advanced degree required to compute it for our Aus/NZ folks, so you’re on your own. :wink:

Could we maybe please get an extension until Sunday? For some reason my brain thought the deadline was the 5th.

Could we maybe please get an extension until Sunday? For some reason my brain thought the deadline was the 5th.
You got it! New deadline is now midnight GMT, 5 Feb. I’ll get the blurb up top updated.

That means, of course, that I expect about a dozen more entries from folks. :p:

Back
Top Bottom