The CookingBites recipe challenge: oranges

Thank you. I know the both miso and tofu don't feature much in many people's diet! I think I've only got 7 or 8 jars/packets of it in the fridge plus a homemade litre that's maturing in a cupboard somewhere... it's rather like cheese or chillies in that sense, different strengths, different maturity, different base ingredients etc, so I have a dedicated shelf in the fridge for the ones we've found we like. I'm still missing certain types such as barley miso and chickpea miso (my own isn't mature enough yet)... taking it which I still need to make another batch to get that going before too long as well. It will take about 18 months to mature minimum...
I think it's awesome you make it yourself. I rarely eat tofu but it's part of my heritage. I posted often about tempeh though, because I love it and it's also a soy product eaten a lot in Asia.

you know speculaas right @TastyReuben
Yes!
E9795155-F04C-4315-AF19-15CEF2C87030.jpeg

I think it's awesome you make it yourself. I rarely eat tofu but it's part of my heritage. I posted often about tempeh though, because I love it and it's also a soy product eaten a lot in Asia.
We eat a reasonable amount of tempeh as well. But all my attempts to make my own have so far failed. I think I need to get my tempeh starter from another source because it has been the only common ingredient in all of my attempts and all have failed so far. :(

87966228-7C30-406E-B1A6-684D978E0193.jpeg

This is not really much of a recipe, so I’m not posting it. But, it involves oranges, so I am sharing. This colorful blend is a combination of jalapeño peppers, baby bell peppers, and habanero pepper. The spicy ones are overly ripe, which I would have expected meant they were extra spicy. There must be a point where the pepper starts to lose its potency. Still spicy, but not likely to overpower me with heat.

Oh, and the orange? I juiced an orange into the brine, along with the vinegar. I would normally add sugar when pickling peppers, but I have faith in the orange to do the job.

I thought I'd add the tempter to act as a reminder to write up the recipe when hubby's at work tomorrow (today is a big public holiday in Australia so he's been home all day).

I know it's a pretty much myself and maybe one other person who'd be interested in this, but hubby has already declared he will have it again. He will, tomorrow, but what he really means is that I can make it again in the future. Handy because I had to make the Chinese 5 spice mix so we have enough for the recipe to be made a few more times yet!
I've finally done it. It feels like it has taken all day because of same admin work on CB that needed doing, but here it is.

Recipe - Vegan Orange & Miso Glazed Tofu

P.S. Don't tell hubby, but it tastes just as nice cold as hot :whistling:

View attachment 95550

This is not really much of a recipe, so I’m not posting it. But, it involves oranges, so I am sharing. This colorful blend is a combination of jalapeño peppers, baby bell peppers, and habanero pepper. The spicy ones are overly ripe, which I would have expected meant they were extra spicy. There must be a point where the pepper starts to lose its potency. Still spicy, but not likely to overpower me with heat.

Oh, and the orange? I juiced an orange into the brine, along with the vinegar. I would normally add sugar when pickling peppers, but I have faith in the orange to do the job.

From my years of growing jalapeños, the red ones are not necessarily hotter than the green ones. I've had both on the same plant at the same time, and they weren't any different in heat.

CD

We eat a reasonable amount of tempeh as well. But all my attempts to make my own have so far failed. I think I need to get my tempeh starter from another source because it has been the only common ingredient in all of my attempts and all have failed so far. :(
Not on you, it's a complex process. I just buy it too.

Now I'm intrigued. Windigo: don't let us down! :chef:
Not letting you down today 😊
20230128_082249.jpg

But.. not winning any prizes either. The mix instructions turned out to be wrong, the mix was too dry to become a dough. So like with homemade speculaas, I added some milk. Then, the mixture was too wet so I added flour. Didn't help much, so in the fridge it went. This was all done in a cold kitchen with cold hands. Left in the fridge for 2 hours.
Still sticky after, so I decided to roll pffefernussen ( kruidnoten in Dutch) instead (TastyReuben knows what they are) which use the same spices.
But, during the baking process my oven disagreed. And so we have this:
20230128_124550.jpg

Wonky shaped, but perfectly tasty and crunchy orange zest speculaas biscuits. Topped with icing sugar.

the mix was too dry to become a dough. So like with homemade speculaas, I added some milk. Then, the mixture was too wet so I added flour.
Oh, I’ve been there. I made something a couple of years ago (it may have been pfeffernusse) that went wrong at every step, and I just baked them up anyway, and they turned out to be something entirely different (sort of like gooey spiced brownie balls), but also entirely delicious - and now I couldn’t recreate it if I tried! :laugh:

Oh, I’ve been there. I made something a couple of years ago (it may have been pfeffernusse) that went wrong at every step, and I just baked them up anyway, and they turned out to be something entirely different (sort of like gooey spiced brownie balls), but also entirely delicious - and now I couldn’t recreate it if I tried! :laugh:
Goeey speculaas brownies doesn't sound bad actually!

In my case they taste just like normal Speculaas with a bit of orange zest, but their shape is off and they're a little too brittle. Oh well, a learning curve. Patisserie and baking still isn't my specialty. But I hope to bring my cookies/biscuits up to the same level as my cakes are this year.

Back
Top Bottom