The CookingBites recipe challenge: oranges

These are all California oranges that I am showing. Didn't Florida have a freeze problem recently?

CD

Blood oranges require cold weather to turn "bloody." If they don't get the cold, they remain orange. I found this out when i was looking into getting a blood orange tree for us.

Yes, there was a problem but most of Florida's oranges are juice oranges. We get eating oranges and other citrus from other areas mostly.

Now they’re only $2.50US/each, so I got two more:

9AE63AE1-6661-4EC3-8A30-78553FF9754C.jpeg

822a4166-8a48-483e-8fcf-13a389f46411-jpeg.jpg

Peachy Orange Banana Bread - I should have mixed in the dates a bit better, but the end result was good. As I noted in the linked recipe, this isn't just orange added to the banana bread recipe I posted recently. There's a lot more that I changed here. Oh, yeah, and then there's the orange.

Then they aren't ripe as they shouldn't be. They aren't very bloody either. They should be RED with very little, if any, orange. There's a reason they were named blood oranges.
That’s usually my experience with Kroger pre-bagged fruit. It’s rarely ripe.

That’s why these were $4 for a bag and those others I posted above were $3.50 each! :laugh:

I think of it as an orange big enough to share, so your partner/friend might say, “Gimmie ‘su-mo’ o’ that orange!”
I've not read everything yet, so someone might have already mentioned this, but I thought that their name came from their increased size and excessive volume of baggy skin...

Here's what I found from an article out of Better Homes and Gardens magazine:

"The Sumo is the brand name of what's known elsewhere as the dekopon. It's a medium-sized, bright orange citrus fruit, most easily distinguished by the tell-tale bump on the top. (The name likely comes from the topknot hairstyle worn by sumo wrestlers.) The dekopon dates back to 1972 in Japan."

Back
Top Bottom