The CookingBites recipe challenge: pineapple

I got the original recipe for piña coladas in San Juan. Can you get Coco Lopez coconut cream? That's an essential!

Do you like piña coladas? Getting caught in the rain? :D

CD
Yep, I can Coco Lopez here.

I do like piña coladas, yes, and getting caught in the rain is nice, but then again, I like rain.

I, however, am not into yoga, I’m too old for that, and I would like to think I do have half a brain, though I disguise it well at times.

Now, my nocturnal hanky-panky preferences, I’ll just have to leave that alone…for now.

:laugh:

Yep, I can Coco Lopez here.

I do like piña coladas, yes, and getting caught in the rain is nice, but then again, I like rain.

I, however, am not into yoga, I’m too old for that, and I would like to think I do have half a brain, though I disguise it well at times.

Now, my nocturnal hanky-panky preferences, I’ll just have to leave that alone…for now.

:laugh:
Methinks you often aren't able to stay awake until midnight :laugh:

Cocktail time!

Recipe - Kirsch & Pineapple Juice Cocktail

Very simple, very satisfying summer drink. Are there any two things that are as mutually complementary as pineapple and cherries? That’s a classic pairing.

IMG_4846.jpeg

We were introduced to these by Issy, the tough-as-nails, wonderful bartender and one of the founding members (back in the ‘60’s) of (what used to be - long, ugly story there) our favorite German club. It gets hot and muggy in Cincy, and many were the days Issy would mix a quick pitcher of these up and join us on the back patio of the clubhouse.

She (and her equally wonderful husband) have moved on to the next realm, but she lives on in this drink, which is MrsT’s and my favorite summer cocktail - we drink lots of these, and I’m sure I’ve posted more than one here over the years.

It’s fruity…it’s boozy…it’s easy, so mix up a couple (or a pitcher), put on your favorite music (Issy was partial to Slim Whitman), cop a squat outside, and enjoy a big ol’ helping of sunshine in a glass!

We’ve probably all heard the old cooks’ tale about storing pineapples upside down or on their sides to allow the sweet juice that’s settled in the bottom to distribute evenly throughout the fruit.

Here’s the real poop-diddly-oop on that:

The Correct Way to Store Pineapples, According to Dole.

Don't waste your time - that’s just a myth that sounds good, but really isn’t true.

I was interested to read that pineapples do not continue to ripen after harvesting. That's wierd, because I always buy them just a "little" bit green and they're fine after two to three days. Any more and they begin to rot. Then there's the Sainsbury's technique of selling bright green pineapples from Kenya or Costa Rica...

I was interested to read that pineapples do not continue to ripen after harvesting. That's wierd, because I always buy them just a "little" bit green and they're fine after two to three days. Any more and they begin to rot. Then there's the Sainsbury's technique of selling bright green pineapples from Kenya or Costa Rica...
Was that from more than one source? Experience seems to differ for me.

Edit: Ok. Google says it won't ripen much or become much sweeter after harvesting. However, it will get a bit softer.

i find it easier to cut after it's been sitting on the counter for a few days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom