The CookingBites recipe challenge: pineapple

I’ll be cutting into my mini pineapple (pineapplette?) later today for my second submission.

Was that from more than one source? Experience seems to differ for me.
That was only from Tasty's "Dole" website,who said they don't ripen after picking. Maybe that's just Hawaiian pineapples. There are several varieties here, including the " Andean", which looks like this:

1688059831086.png

I was interested to read that pineapples do not continue to ripen after harvesting. That's wierd, because I always buy them just a "little" bit green and they're fine after two to three days. Any more and they begin to rot. Then there's the Sainsbury's technique of selling bright green pineapples from Kenya or Costa Rica...

That is the reason I went to three stores to find ripe pineapples. They do get softer, and change color somewhat, but I understand that is the just early process of them going bad. Eventually, they turn to nasty mush, but they don't get any more ripe.

CD

That was only from Tasty's "Dole" website,who said they don't ripen after picking. Maybe that's just Hawaiian pineapples. There are several varieties here, including the " Andean", which looks like this:

View attachment 101824

Dole doesn't get most of its pineapples from Hawaii anymore. Dole and DelMonte cut their Hawaiian operations drastically in the 1990s and 2000s. My DelMonte pineapples came from Costa Rica, which is the number two country for pineapple production. They US (Hawaii) is a small player now.

CD

Dole doesn't get most of its pineapples from Hawaii anymore. Dole and DelMonte cut their Hawaiian operations drastically in the 1990s and 2000s. My DelMonte pineapples came from Costa Rica, which is the number two country for pineapple production. They US (Hawaii) is a small player now.

CD
I must be good at picking pineapples. I've never had one that wasn't sweet and fresh tasting.

Pineapple recipe has to wait. I want to do it on the outside grill, but it’s raining for the next hour or so. Trying again tomorrow.

Second entry of mine:

Recipe - Pineapple Skewers with Honey-Thyme Glaze

Pineapple on the outside grill isn’t uncommon around here these days. Grilled rings frequently show up as a sandwich topper, for example.

These are skewers, however, and are treated with a simple sweet-savory glaze to make a light first course or simple dessert.

IMG_4861.jpeg

The recipe calls for unseasoned rice vinegar, but I subbed in apple cider vinegar, which worked well. No ill effects.

Second entry of mine:

Recipe - Pineapple Skewers with Honey-Thyme Glaze

Pineapple on the outside grill isn’t uncommon around here these days. Grilled rings frequently show up as a sandwich topper, for example.

These are skewers, however, and are treated with a simple sweet-savory glaze to make a light first course or simple dessert.

View attachment 101831

The recipe calls for unseasoned rice vinegar, but I subbed in apple cider vinegar, which worked well. No ill effects.

Okay, we're good. Only grilling in common. Not Tastied. :okay:

CD

I must be good at picking pineapples. I've never had one that wasn't sweet and fresh tasting.
I look for golden skin (when possible) and I tug at a middle leaf (carefully). If leaf comes out easy, it's ripe and sweet (usually, LOL).

I look for golden skin (when possible) and I tug at a middle leaf (carefully). If leaf comes out easy, it's ripe and sweet (usually, LOL).

I look for the same things, plus a sweet smell of pinapple from the base of the fruit. Only problem is, the grocery stores don't necessarily look for the same things.

CD

Here we go then: Pineapple Curry
Pineapple was brought to India by the Portuguese in the 16th century. Pineapple curries are popular in the South-Western states, especially Kerala & Karnataka, and use typical local spices and ingredients: black mustard seeds, curry leaves, fresh coconut, coconut milk and hot chiles.
This particular version was prepared in Cuajimapla, Mexico City, where there are no curry leaves... and I added a bit of red onion and cumin seeds for fun. On that particular evening, folks ate pork (vindaloo) shrimp and chicken, all of which go well with the fruity pineapple.
Indian Food Cuajimapla pineapple curry.jpg

Pineapple Gelatin Dessert

IMG_2955.JPG

This is a simple yet satisfying dessert, especially as it heats up here in Cowboyville Arizona USA.
Normally, I would use canned Pineapple tidbits, but as I looked through my dry pantry I found crushed.
Yeah, that'll work.
I like the way it looks like it's "floating" in the Gelatin.

Back
Top Bottom