The CookingBites recipe challenge: pineapple

Here are the countries that grow over 1-million tons per year...
Whenever I see statistics like that, I feel a little sad.
Why?
Because Venezuela has the capacity to grow/export 1 million a year. And add cacao, coffee, oysters,avocados, mangos, papaya, guavas, coconuts, .... except they're all plagued by a terrible virus called Nicolas Maduro.:mad:

Cut into one this morning (I’ll probably give the other one to the neighbor - we’re swimming in fresh fruit right now):
IMG_5009.jpeg
IMG_5010.jpeg

MrsT (who’s much more a pineapple expect than I am) says this is sweeter than a regular pineapple and less acidic. 🤷‍♂️

My next-to-last one:

Recipe - Pineapple Wine Punch (Ananasbowle)

Another simple one (just four ingredients and a little time is all it takes), and the payoff is tremendous - this is seriously delicious punch (and we have a lot of punches here during the year).

IMG_5011.jpeg

I made a half-batch, and in the final photo above, I did a last-minute garnish with fresh mint (because I had some) and maraschino cherries (since they go so well with pineapple)…purely an afterthought that worked out well.

And yes, I’m using a soup tureen and teacups for a punch bowl set! We have real class here in SW Ohio! 🧐 🎩

As to the taste…very light, very refreshing, not nearly as sweet as you’d expect, considering the fruit, choice of wine ($6US from ALDI!), and the added sugar. The sparkling wine (I used Prosecco, because I generally prefer it to champagne) gives it just the right amount of crispness.

Oh, but this does go down easy - I’m on my third cup, with more to follow, no doubt. MrsT’s reaction after a petite, feminine slug was to give a little shudder of delight and proclaim, “This is the punch I want for our New Year’s Eve!”

Don’t be fooled in thinking this is a one-trick-pony of a punch - it’s tailor-made for hot summer afternoons, sipping genteelly on the veranda (or living room sofa, as I’m doing).

Oh, and this:
MrsT (who’s much more a pineapple expect than I am) says this is sweeter than a regular pineapple and less acidic.

I went out on the ‘net to read a little about pink pineapple, and found this characterization from SouthernLiving.com:

Pink pineapples contain lycopene, the same pigment that makes watermelons pink and strawberries red, and creates a sweet, less acidic taste than standard pineapple, per Fresh Del Monte.

Seems like she nailed that one right down!

Well I found a very nice pineapple Wednesday and had planned on doing something with it, but I came down with a cold on Friday and have no energy. I'll get as far as cutting it up into chunks but not sure I'm up for anything else over the next few days.

Ok, here’s me done…#6:

Recipe - Pineapple Tuiles

When I found this recipe in my cookbook, I liked it, because it sounded a bit elegant, and I liked that it was something of a batter, as the only other pineapple tuiles I've seen are actual slices of pineapple.

Some pics:

I staged the ingredients (all four of them), and just now realized I never took a pic. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Don’t let the colors fool you - there’s a method there. The…shall we say, rare ones are nice and chewy, while the well-done ones are crispy-crunchy - I aim to please!

Anyway, these are great as a little snack, or as a garnish, or even a between-course palate cleanser - just a little bit of fun on yer plate. Being American, I do feel I should ditch the “Frenchness” of tuiles and call these what they are: Pineapple Pringles.

Oh, and just so you know I’m not the kitchen whiz I pretend to be, here’s the first Franken-batch:

IMG_5017.jpeg

Too much goop, slightly warped pan, and misbehaving parchy. :laugh:

By my count, it’s 12 recipes from five people with seven days left…c’mon, folks, let’s see those pineapples plated up! 🍍 🍍 🍍

By my count, it’s 12 recipes from five people with seven days left…c’mon, folks, let’s see those pineapples plated up! 🍍 🍍 🍍
I'm too sick to do it at the moment. I'd be coughing all over the food. If I'm better by Wednesday maybe I'll try one of my ideas.

I'm supposed to drive over to Port Arthur on Friday to visit my aunt and cousins for the weekend, but I'm not going to take my germs to them so if I'm not better by Thursday I'll be staying here at my SIL's. I fly home the 18th. Too bad the challenge can't be extended by 6-7 days, I could probably do them when I get back home.

Thsnk you for your kindness.

Even 5 days I could get at least 1 in and perhaps others could contribute as well.
I’m betting she’ll be glad to extend it. I think most of the challenges get extended. :okay:

I’m betting she’ll be glad to extend it. I think most of the challenges get extended. :okay:
Yeah I had plans about what I want to do for over a week for one recipe. I thought of another idea today in between episodes of Downton Abbey. Great show for bingewatching on couch when sick, even though I've seen them all before.

Back
Top Bottom