The CookingBites recipe challenge: pineapple

Recently here in Cowboyville, a produce only market opened ...

pineapple.jpg

This was the special just the other day!
:okay:

Gotta say, I’m particularly missing kaneohegirlinaz during this challenge.
Ahhhh! Mahalo, thanks TastyReuben ... I love your cocktail, I may need to try that once the Doc says I can have Adult Beverages again... I can't remember if I've already posted my Cosmo recipe or not ... gotta do a search ...

Third one of mine, either main dish or heavy appetizer:

Recipe - Ham Balls in Pineapple Sauce

Here's a nice alternative to the usual ground beef or generic ground pork meatball...ham balls:

Ham balls used to be ubiquitous here, and they're still not exactly uncommon, but they're now seen as retro, but not in a cool hipster way; more frumpy than hip. I love them, though (along with it's big sibling, the ham loaf). I even posted an earlier, different recipe for ham balls (and ham loaf...see, I told you I love this stuff!). These come with a pineapple glaze.

The verdict: hard for me to go wrong with a ham ball, and I liked the flavor of these quite a bit. It's a very simplistic mix, so the ham really comes through, nothing complicated. I was fortunate in that I had everything already on hand - the ham is from a holiday ham at the beginning of the year, so I was happy to put that to use, and the breadcrumbs came from some sandwich rolls I made recently.

The glaze...the flavor is fine, but there isn't enough of it, and it baked down to a thick jam consistency (not looking forward to cleaning that off) - when I reheat these tomorrow, I'll make some additional glaze to go with it. If you like your holiday ham in smaller portions, though, this is a way to achieve that.

Oh, I served that on a bed of cauliflower rice, flavored with a little sesame oil, ginger, and parsley.

I’ve submitted a cocktail, an appetizer, a main dish, so how about something for after:

Recipe - Orange-Pineapple Ice

Think of this as a low-effort sorbet of sorts…a pineapple slushie.

Now, I’m not a fan of frozen desserts, so I’ll leave this to MrsT to judge:

“Oh…oh…god, this is better than ice cream!” - and that’s coming from a woman who, before her WW days, ate ice cream four or five times a week.

I did eat some, of course, and what comes through to me is the intensity of the fruit flavors. There’s nothing much here to mask the fruit, so that’s what bursts forth with every spoonful.

This is about as “summer” as it gets.

IMG_4925.jpeg

Can we use pineapple preserves/jam? If we can't that's fine. I just ran across an old recipe as I'm trying to clean out a cabinet full of old food magazines and our homemade cookbooks.

I have no idea where it's at, probably with DD as she had asked for all the old photos a while back for a project she was working on, but there's a B&W photo of my dad when he was in the Navy not long after the Korean War and was stationed in Hawaii. He's standing in the middle of a pineapple field in a short sleeved Hawaiian shirt and light colored pants, with flip flops on, and he has 1 foot tilted up with his big toe peeking over the top of the pineapple leaves. My mother always teased him about that when we looked at pictures. I think there might have been something going on there that flew over my head as a kid in retrospect.

Last edited:
I thought I'd posted this, but evidently, I set it all up then forgot to press "post reply" .
Sunflower's Pineapple & Ginger Cheesecake
Sunflower is/was a contributor to a foodie site which has now closed down, and this recipe for cheesecake is really divine. Originally, I think she made the topping with blueberries, or blackberries, but I wanted something tropical on top and just by chance, had some homemade pineapple and ginger jam in the cupboard.
What I've never nailed with this recipe is the exact size of the baking tin. There always seems to be some filling left over!
Pineapple Cheesecake.JPG
pineapple cheesecake slice.jpg

I’ve got two more planned. Should be able to do at least one of them tomorrow.

Never seen them this cheap, so I’m taking the plunge:

View attachment 102213

Having researched 'pink pineapples' I'd love to taste them. They are exclusive to one farm in Costa Rica. Its a genetically modified fruit and Del Monte has the monopoly. The pink pineapple was created by altering the mechanism which controls the pigment produced at maturity.

Having researched 'pink pineapples' I'd love to taste them. They are exclusive to one farm in Costa Rica. Its a genetically modified fruit and Del Monte has the monopoly. The pink pineapple was created by altering the mechanism which controls the pigment produced at maturity.

Most of the pineapples in the stores where I live are from Costa Rica. I would have expected them to come from Mexico, but I think the part of Mexico where they grow is not much closer. Here are the countries that grow over 1-million tons per year...

1688853688675.png

CD

Back
Top Bottom