The CookingBites recipe challenge: poultry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, thanks. I just wasn't sure how it was done. I suspected that food wasn't being prepared and compared because of the obvious shortcomings with ingredients and skill levels etc. You have a tough job or any judge for that matter simply because cuisine/recipes can be interpreted differently. Look forward to your pick.
Exactly, subjective it is indeed. Because tastes can vary vastly, what one person thinks is a winner is not the choice of others. But it's all in fun!

Oh yes, and a great learning experience for me, too.

Exactly, subjective it is indeed. Because tastes can vary vastly, what one person thinks is a winner is not the choice of others. But it's all in fun!

Oh yes, and a great learning experience for me, too.
Yes, it must be fun because fun is stimulating and encourages us to challenge ourselves in ways we normally wouldn't.

A quick story that I believe is telling for the simple enjoyment of it and for the enjoyment for others. My better half Angela who went to culinary school but is a pastry chef by profession made coleslaw last night for a pig roast we went to. I'm not a big fan of coleslaw, I can take it or leave it but I have to say it was the best coleslaw I've ever eaten in my life, simple delicious and I can't emphasize that enough. Anyway there was about a dozen people at the pig roast and most people commented on the coleslaw saying how delicious it was and it was totally unsolicited. A simple dish that is ubiquitous for any back yard gathering was the star of the show.......that is why I cook because it doesn't matter how much experience you have there's always room for improvement and learning and learning is the fuel of the imagination.

Just wondering how the winner is picked. Do the finalists get prepared and consumed? just curious, thanks.

There is no way to test cook 30-plus recipes, so it comes down to imagining what the food taste likes from the recipe. It is tough. But, most participants understand that, and take these challenges for what they are. Winning feels good for a few minutes... then you have to come up with the next challenge ingredient, and be the judge.

CD

There is no way to test cook 30-plus recipes, so it comes down to imagining what the food taste likes from the recipe. It is tough. But, most participants understand that, and take these challenges for what they are. Winning feels good for a few minutes... then you have to come up with the next challenge ingredient, and be the judge.

CD
I don't mind picking the next ingredient, that's fun. But I hate the judging part, and often I find 2-8 recipes that should all take 1st place, LOL. And then there are a bunch of ties for 2nd place, too :laugh: So I find myself reading through and mulling over those multiple recipes repeatedly, narrowing it down. And sometimes it ends up with just what kind of mood I am in, the next time I look through I might have picked one of the others!

Coq Au Vin Blanc -- Recipe link as soon as I go through my notes and write up a recipe.

I'm not crazy about cooking with red wines, so this is how I make Coq Au Vin. I just learned it has a name, Coq Au Vin Blanc.

View attachment 72963

CD
Yeah, you forgot to post the link! But I found your recipe, looks quite nice.

I can't believe how many times I had to read and reread these recipes in order to make a final decision! As usual, there were many that I found exceptional and now my head hurts from reading and thinking (and I had to wipe the drool off my computer keyboard, LOL).

Congratulations, Mountain Cat for your stuffed quail recipe! Recipe - Coturnix a la Española: Spanish-Style Quail ca. 1898

For those who don't know already, she raises her own birds! But even if she had bought them from the store I would have chosen this recipe as the winner. And I could see this working well with all kinds of birds.

It will be interesting to see what she chooses as the ingredient for the next challenge. Kudos MC!

JAS_OH1
A while back someone commented on a judging technique. I forgot who, maybe caseydog or Yorky . Anyway - review 2 recipes - put one in your keep box, discard the other. Read another recipe. Compare to the one in your keep box. Discard one, keep the other. Continue reviewing the recipes - always keeping one and discarding one. When you are done you will have one recipe in your keep box.
Having judged more than once I appreciate the simplicity of the keep one discard one system. It is mind boggling to compare large numbers of recipes.
Good luck to you. Don't stay up too late.

JAS_OH1
A while back someone commented on a judging technique. I forgot who, maybe caseydog or Yorky . Anyway - review 2 recipes - put one in your keep box, discard the other. Read another recipe. Compare to the one in your keep box. Discard one, keep the other. Continue reviewing the recipes - always keeping one and discarding one. When you are done you will have one recipe in your keep box.
Having judged more than once I appreciate the simplicity of the keep one discard one system. It is mind boggling to compare large numbers of recipes.
Yes, but when there are 8 ties and no discards...what then? I appreciate the advice, however.

it probably would have been easier if I hadn't been so busy with work lately, I would have already had a headstart. But this was the 1st I had seen some of these recipes.

Last edited:
JAS_OH1

Not me. I wait until the last minute, and go through all the entries, and narrow them down until I decide on a winner.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom