The CookingBites recipe challenge: processed canned/tinned luncheon meat

I agree. I wondered if a step had been missed when the recipe was written up.
Nope, I didn’t consider browning it, because I think of it as lunchmeat, really, and I’ve made deviled eggs with bits of salami in the mix, or ham chopped up finely.

I was thinking of pasty things, like ham salad, because I really wanted to take advantage of that softness that SPAM has, and that’s when I thought about deviled egg filling.

I think the eggs are just fine, maybe a bit on the sweet side, and I’ll bet MrsT eats at least one today. :wink:

kaneohegirlinaz - I need a little SPAMeister guidance (and anyone else who cares to chime in, of course).

I have a recipe that uses ground up ham and ground pork. It’s also flavored up with some dried spices, like ginger.

I’d like to substitute in some SPAM, which as we know, is already flavored/spiced, so I’ve got some trepidation in how to change the recipe to allow for the SPAM. Do I just eliminate all the other seasoning bits and just let the SPAM carry the dish? Do I cut it back by half?

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Anyone have any thoughts on it?
While spam might have some "spices" in it, I'd have thought they wouldn't be too pronounced and that those "spices" would probably be salt and pepper. 1937 wasn't exactly a year for creative spicing... I'd just go ahead and add the spices you want, subbing all the ham and pork for the SPAM.

While spam might have some "spices" in it, I'd have thought they wouldn't be too pronounced and that those "spices" would probably be salt and pepper. 1937 wasn't exactly a year for creative spicing... I'd just go ahead and add the spices you want, subbing all the ham and pork for the SPAM.
Why I didn't think of it before, but after googling (and getting this directly from Hormel), here are the ingredients:

Pork with ham
Salt
Water
Potato starch
Sugar
Sodium nitrate

That's it. They skipped the pepper. :laugh:

…and as I suspected, speviled eggs have been accepted.

I pulled them out of the fridge, let them warm up a little, and had MrsT try one “…with the white, it might cut the sweetness a little.” - yesterday, she’d just tried the filling.

She ate it and rather unenthusiastically said, “Yeah, it’s ok, I guess.”

I went out, poured us a beer, took it back, and she said, “Thanks…and I’d eat another one of those eggs if you have it, I think they mellowed in the fridge, they’re pretty good now.”

Told ya! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom