The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Puff Pastry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got out my old notes from when I did the two patisserie courses in Paris back in the day.
There are four commonly known types of puff pastry—'half,' 'three-quarter,' 'full' and 'inverted puff. The terms describe the amount of fat to the weight of flour. 'Full' denotes equal weights of fat and flour, 'three-quarter' means three-quarter of the weight of the fat to the flour, etc. Puff pastry is the simplest form of laminated dough, with just butter folded into a basic dough of flour, water, and salt. Laminated dough is a culinary preparation consisting of many thin layers of dough separated by butter, produced by repeated folding and rolling.
Our dough is Flour , Water and Salt. We use melted butter between the layers..
Homemade Phyllo (or Filo) Dough. I of course will abide by your decision. :angelic:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_OZgc5m9LE&ab_channel=BrunoAlbouze
I won't go to deep gastronomical debate as I'm a layman...laywoman in cooking. When finished folding, puff pastry (or as you put it, the simplest form of laminated dough) absorbs all the butter that has been folded inside unlike filo/phyllo which consists of many thin layers separated by oil or butter. I spent two summers in France (Menton, Côte D'Azur) as a teenager cooking with my French family hostess. She made a clear difference between filo/phyllo and pâte feuilletée aka puff pastry. Here is the Cordon Bleu site on puff pastry. Martha Stewart and culinarist Hank Sawtelle also make a difference between filo and puff pastry dough although the basic ingredients are the same. I didn't notice any puff pastry entries in the CookingBites Filo/phyllo pastry challenge of 2018. I'm glad that you will accomodate yourself to the will of the daunting JUDGE :D .

Last edited:
I'm glad that you will accomodate yourself to the will of the daunting JUDGE :D .
Darling I'm notorious for my accommodation and my tongue in cheek leg pulling. Here is my new entry for the Judgement of Sol...I mean Hemulen Recipe - Chicken and porcini mushroom rough puff pastry pie.

- - - I'm notorious for my accommodation and my tongue in cheek leg pulling. - - -
:roflmao: Really? I honestly missed your posts during your recent short absence (and I was quite concerned due to your previous depictions of health issues). Burt darling, as much as recipes, this forum needs life and tough (tongue in cheek) negotiation.

So rough Puff Pastry is Okay ? if so I have just made and rolled out some on baking parchment for a plumb, pear and chopped walnut diamond jalousie for tonight's sweet treat.
Sure, rough puff pastry still has some of the puff characteristic and contains a good deal of infold fat. Sounds delicious.

In my opinion, "puffy" millefeuille pastry like in this Napoleon pastry is definately included in the challenge.
napoleon.jpg

Photo source.

:roflmao: Really? I honestly missed your posts during your recent short absence (and I was quite concerned due to your previous depictions of health issues). Burt darling, as much as recipes, this forum needs life and tough (tongue in cheek) negotiation.
Darling Queen Juniper I'm touched. To reassure you I have been clean of cancer for 4 years 6 months. My body is very healthy, thankfully I still posses a very unhealthy mind. Tough yes even the almighty missed with his lightening strike and only fried my router.

Ekberg (the oldest pâtisserie and bakery in Helsinki, Est. 1852) makes decent Napoleon pastries but their Millefeuille pastry ("tuhatlehtileivos") is unbeatable. I had my first bite at the age of two or three (born in Helsinki) and have loved it since. It literally breaks in thousands of pieces and has to be eaten with a spoon. The only shortcoming is the amount of sugar and calories - so this is usually a once-in-a-decade choice.

tuhatlehti.jpg

Photo source.
I'm looking forward to seeing both savory and sweet entries - or combinations :okay:. Now I'll leave this thread in the use of participants.

I love making puff pastry. My only problem is my waistline... maybe you will get lots of small sized puff pastry entries from me.
Yes...this is also my concern. I am trying to eat healthier lately, so this will be tricky, but I have an idea of something. For me, this is the challenge in this recipe challenge.

Yes...this is also my concern. I am trying to eat healthier lately, so this will be tricky, but I have an idea of something. For me, this is the challenge in this recipe challenge.

Calories and fat are not an issue for me, right now. I am down to 160 pounds, so I can eat anything I want, as long as it is low in sodium.

IIRC, you have kids. Make the puff pastry stuff, and give it to them.

CD

IMG_0574.JPG

Beef Wellington - I was surprised I hadn't posted this, but when I finally found the pic, I realized I made this over 4 years ago, before I joined the forum. I know Gordon Ramsay would have shredded me for all the flaws in this Wellington, but I remembered enjoying it.

I will also work on something else, but this is a start.

View attachment 48511

Beef Wellington - I was surprised I hadn't posted this, but when I finally found the pic, I realized I made this over 4 years ago, before I joined the forum. I know Gordon Ramsay would have shredded me for all the flaws in this Wellington, but I remembered enjoying it.

I will also work on something else, but this is a start.

Mine looks very similar to that......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom