The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Puff Pastry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a package in the freezer, so I probably should do something. It just seems like everything puff-pastry-related is roll it and fill it, or cut it out in a shape and fill it.

I want something new, like make soup with it. :laugh:

I have several ideas floating around my noggin that aren't puff pastry and a filling. Now, I just need to get off my a$$ and make them.

CD

I got out my old notes from when I did the two patisserie courses in Paris back in the day.
There are four commonly known types of puff pastry—'half,' 'three-quarter,' 'full' and 'inverted puff. The terms describe the amount of fat to the weight of flour. 'Full' denotes equal weights of fat and flour, 'three-quarter' means three-quarter of the weight of the fat to the flour, etc. Puff pastry is the simplest form of laminated dough, with just butter folded into a basic dough of flour, water, and salt. Laminated dough is a culinary preparation consisting of many thin layers of dough separated by butter, produced by repeated folding and rolling.
Our dough is Flour , Water and Salt. We use melted butter between the layers..
Homemade Phyllo (or Filo) Dough. I of course will abide by your decision. :angelic:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_OZgc5m9LE&ab_channel=BrunoAlbouze

Wow I learnt something. Thanks.

Russ

When I judged one of these, I believe there were 36 entries. You are on a trajectory to surpass that. Yes, it'll make your brain hurt. :meh:

CD

My top tip for judging is to make a few notes to yourself on each recipe as it appears and put an asterisk next to the ones that particularly grab you. Its much easier than trying to 'digest' 30 or so recipe at one sitting. But, after all - there are no set judging criteria. Its up to the judge to invent their own! And they don't even need to tell us what they are...

I have a package in the freezer, so I probably should do something. It just seems like everything puff-pastry-related is roll it and fill it, or cut it out in a shape and fill it.

I want something new, like make soup with it. :laugh:

I know - I'm someone who likes to come up with 'original' ideas and I feel stuck with this. I also hate to say this - but I almost feel like I'm cheating if I get some pre-made ready rolled puff pastry, cut it into a rectangle (or square or circle) and then bung a topping on it. Its just too easy for me. So this is turning out to be more of a personal challenge than I thought.

My top tip for judging is to make a few notes to yourself on each recipe as it appears and put an asterisk next to the ones that particularly grab you. Its much easier than trying to 'digest' 30 or so recipe at one sitting. But, after all - there are no set judging criteria. Its up to the judge to invent their own! And they don't even need to tell us what they are...
Good afternoon Morning, never and I mean this from the heart of my bottom......... shurely shome mishtake never pass me the poisoned chalice. I have only just come to terms with the luggage tag.

I know - I'm someone who likes to come up with 'original' ideas and I feel stuck with this. I also hate to say this - but I almost feel like I'm cheating if I get some pre-made ready rolled puff pastry, cut it into a rectangle (or square or circle) and then bung a topping on it. Its just too easy for me. So this is turning out to be more of a personal challenge than I thought.

The spirit you have is admirable. But as a catering cook I can tell you an industry secret, and that is that we don't make filo or puff pastry either. At least most of us don't, because that's far too fiddly on such a large scale.

I don't make my own either, when store bought is just as good and much less time consuming.

My top tip for judging is to make a few notes to yourself on each recipe as it appears and put an asterisk next to the ones that particularly grab you.
What I've done in the past (and should have done for the juniper challenge) was, as soon as the first two recipes were submitted, picked a winner between those two, and continued to do the same as each new recipe was submitted. That way, I was only ever comparing two recipes, and by the end of the challenge, I already had a winner chosen.

The spirit you have is admirable. But as a catering cook I can tell you an industry secret, and that is that we don't make filo or puff pastry either. At least most of us don't, because that's far too fiddly on such a large scale.

I don't make my own either, when store bought is just as good and much less time consuming.

No secret that. I lose count of the number of cooking programmes on TV where the chef says 'its not worth making your own puff pastry' but I simply don't enjoy using ready made any more than I would enjoy making a pizza from ready made dough. Its actually dead easy to make rough puff. Last time I made puff pastry it tasted much nicer than any I can buy in the shops here.

Funny thing is it isn't actually difficult to make puff pastry. The labour involved is minutes not hours. It just takes a few hours for the process to be completed due to it resting in the fridge between each rolling and folding. If you at home most of the day this is no problem. You get on with other things while its resting.

What I've done in the past (and should have done for the juniper challenge) was, as soon as the first two recipes were submitted, picked a winner between those two, and continued to do the same as each new recipe was submitted. That way, I was only ever comparing two recipes, and by the end of the challenge, I already had a winner chosen.

Good tip.

No secret that. I lose count of the number of cooking programmes on TV where the chef says 'its not worth making your own puff pastry' but I simply don't enjoy using ready made any more than I would enjoy making a pizza from ready made dough. Its actually dead easy to make rough puff. Last time I made puff pastry it tasted much nicer than any I can buy in the shops here.

Funny thing is it isn't actually difficult to make puff pastry. The labour involved is minutes not hours. It just takes a few hours for the process to be completed due to it resting in the fridge between each rolling and folding. If you at home most of the day this is no problem. You get on with other things while its resting.

I suck at multi-tasking. I need to go in the kitchen, do my stuff, and be done with it. I can walk away while something simmers or braises for hours, but that's different than coming back to the kitchen every hour to roll my puff pastry another time.

As long as Hemulen doesn't hold ready made puff pastry against entries, that's what I am going to use. I cook as much as I deem reasonable from scratch. But there are some things that I find more reasonable to buy. Sausages are another one. I don't have the equipment to stuff sausages, and there are a lot of good, artisanal sausages available around here, so I buy them.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom