The CookingBites recipe challenge: rice

B16257E7-4D98-4105-B3DA-2BDCC143128D.jpeg

Creole Jambalaya - I was not born on the Bayou, but neither were Creedence Clearwater Revival. They were from California. Regardless of where you were born, you can enjoy a hearty bowl of jambalaya. I had planned to include shrimp, but the shrimp I had tasted off, so I loaded up on grilled chicken and andouille sausage. Two out of three ain’t bad.

Note: For the second musical reference, the singer Meat Loaf was born in Dallas, Texas.

Last edited:
View attachment 97373

Creole Jambalaya - I was not born on the Bayou, but neither were Creedence Clearwater Revival. They were from California. Regardless of where you were born, you can enjoy a hearty bowl of jambalaya. I had planned to include shrimp, but the shrimp I had tasted off, so I loaded up on grilled chicken and andouille sausage. Two out of three ain’t bad.

Note: For the second musical reference, the singer Meat Loaf was born in Dallas, Texas.
link to recipe?

Classic Arancini
We often prepare risotto, because my wife loves Italian food - and so do I! So I prepared a mushroom risotto, with fresh and dried mushrooms, and there was a load left over. How about arancini? I thought - then realised I´d never made them before.
I found a recipe from the fastidious Felicity Cloake, who writes a column in "The Guardian" entitled " How To Make the Perfect XXXXX".
I say "fastidious" in the best sense of the word, because Felicity investigates every dish thoroughly, explains why, gives every reason in the book and then cooks the dish. I frequently disagree with what she proposes, but cannot fault her logic!
Anyway - I had some leftover mushroom risotto. The only differences were that I added parsley to the mixture, "fastidiously" removed every single mushroom and cut them into tiny pieces. I also added some white wine to the stock, simply because it was there.
The result was surprisingly delicious.
Arancini 2.jpg
Arancini.jpg

Anybody see the ATK episode today where they made a Piedmontese risotto with pancetta, onions carrots, cabbage and beans? Looked interesting.

I've got stuff to make a lemon risotto with scallops that I'll probably make tomorrow, then I might get to a dish that we make from scratch, but also make a semi-homemade version like Sandra Lee did on the FN.

Back
Top Bottom