The CookingBites recipe challenge: rice

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:48 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is rice* and JAS_OH1 is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses rice, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Friday 24th March UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* any kind of rice: imperial rice, basmati, jasmine, arborio, sushi, etc. No rice flour, rice noodles, or rice paper unless rice grains are otherwise already in the recipe, or if you’ve made those items from scratch. Rice-like blends (such as wild rice) are acceptable as long as they include some portion of true rice.
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

Image by KamranAydinov on Freepik

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is rice* and JAS_OH1 is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses rice, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Friday 24th March UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* any kind of rice: wild rice, imperial rice, basmati, jasmine, arborio, sushi, etc. No rice flour, rice noodles, or rice paper unless rice grains are otherwise already in the recipe, or if you’ve made those items from scratch
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.
I had said in the other thread that I had forgotten wild rice is really a grass, not thinking about the fact that I listed it as an acceptable rice for this challenge. I dislike the idea of allowing it and not allowing any other "rice-like" grains, so maybe better edit it out or say that it has to be a blend with "real" rice grains. Sorry for the confusion.

I had said in the other thread that I had forgotten wild rice is really a grass, not thinking about the fact that I listed it as an acceptable rice for this challenge. I dislike the idea of allowing it and not allowing any other "rice-like" grains, so maybe better edit it out or say that it has to be a blend with "real" rice grains. Sorry for the confusion.
I’ll get the change reflected in the opening post above. Thanks for the clarification.

Here is one for me:) Chicken Paella with Lima Beans and Artichokes.

3AB3F187-9304-4204-A14C-33D2092FCB74.jpeg

Original thread

Ok, here's my first one:

Recipe - Risotto with Fennel, Pear, and Prosciutto

This is just the third time I've made risotto (the other two are posted here on the forum as well, I believe). One was too wet, one was too dry, but this one would make Goldilocks happy; it was just right (I think, anyway).

This was an unexpected entry, though. I was looking through cookbooks and saved recipes and had already chosen a very elegant risotto (made with champagne and edible gold leaf!) when I'd found an old magazine clipping, with this recipe on the reverse. This wasn't even one I'd ever planned on making...yet there it was.

So what changed my mind regarding this one? The main reason was the method. This is a risotto made almost entirely in the microwave. Since the last two times I made it were inconsistent and not quite to my liking, I thought I'd try The Microwave Way.

I think this one came out much better; very creamy, but sticky enough to hold together. A few pics:

FC4997AC-FA09-468A-9373-55528579462D.jpeg

B999B3BB-6A07-42F4-92C6-531F9DC2596D.jpeg

E73C5A6D-8500-487A-AD89-99EAAD102C4A.jpeg

The taste: there's a lot of flavor going on, which is no mystery when you look at the ingredient list, or just the title. Prosciutto and pear work so well together, no surprise there, and the fennel adds to that perfectly.

That's all my opinion, I can't give MrsT's: she went over WW points on the dish pictured with the risotto (chicken-ricotta meatballs)!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I´ve been meaning to make this for a long time, because it´s such a delicious way to eat rice : Vegetable Dum Biryani
The original version came from the Mughlai empire and probably had a chicken or lamb curry underneath the baked rice. Back in the 60s and 70s, a biryani was on all the Curry House menus - chicken, lamb, prawns or veggies - as a mild option.
"Dum" means "steamed". The traditional method of making this rice dish was to put everything in a large pot, run a string of raw dough round the top, seal with the lid and then replace on the fire (or in the oven) until cooked.
Mine uses potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and green beans, because that´s what I had in the fridge. You could add any vegetables you like.
Biryani vegetables 1.jpg
Biryani vegetables 2.jpg
Biryani vegetables 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom