The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:43 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is root vegetables (including tubers) and Morning Glory (that's me) is judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** using root vegetables, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Entries exceeding the limit will be disqualified.

Extended deadline: midday UK time (GMT) Saturday 5th February. Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a few notes as it came up in discussion. Entries don't have to be a main course. Side dishes are fine and in fact I think I won the last round with a side dish. As nominated judge, I'm most interested in flavour combinations and visual appeal. Extra points will be awarded if you can use a combination of several root vegetables (although it doesn't necessarily mean you will win).

So, lets get digging and unearth those hidden gems...

Things that interest me...celeriac, beets, turnips, and carrots, off the top of my head.

Ginger counts as a root veg, right? I have around a half-pound of ginger that I need to do something with, besides weigh down the trash, which is where they're headed shortly if I don't think of something soon.

Ginger counts as a root veg, right? I have around a half-pound of ginger that I need to do something with, besides weigh down the trash, which is where they're headed shortly if I don't think of something soon.

As far as I'm concerned as judge, ginger counts. Oh - and I love ginger.

My chagrin about winning the last challenge and becoming judge is this: I rely on the challenge to motivate me to create recipes. As judge I can't really do that or at any rate its not a challenge. I sometimes enter a challenge on another cooking forum at times like this. However, the other forum has a challenge with zero interest for me (sweet stuff). Oh well. You guys are going to have to keep me entertained instead while I put my feet up.

My chagrin about winning the last challenge and becoming judge is this: I rely on the challenge to motivate me to create recipes. As judge I can't really do that or at any rate its not a challenge. I sometimes enter a challenge on another cooking forum at times like this. However, the other forum has a challenge with zero interest for me (sweet stuff). Oh well. You guys are going to have to keep me entertained instead while I put my feet up.

Can we bring you a cup of tea, perhaps some slippers for your feet.?

CD

My chagrin about winning the last challenge and becoming judge is this: I rely on the challenge to motivate me to create recipes. As judge I can't really do that or at any rate its not a challenge.
Hey - I felt that all the way through December!:D:D
So apart from the Western root veggies, I´ve also got:
Yuca (cassava), Taro root, yams, ocumo, lairen, South American potatoes of all shapes and sizes...
and the captain of the English Cricket team, Joe Root, who must feel like a vegetable after scoring a duck yesterday.:eek:

Ok, I've got six recipes picked out, using ginger, carrots, turnips, and celeriac. Not saying I'm making all of them, but I've at least got it narrowed down.

No beets, which surprised even me, because I like beets more than all those others I just listed.

Back
Top Bottom