The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomatoes

I haven't said no to it, just that it is difficult for us because of hubby's medical condition. I could do 1 with spinach in 3 weeks but given he has to be careful even with red or purple rice because it contains more iron than regular white or brown rice, spinach (or anything high in iron content) isn't great here.

And he had quite a bit over Christmas.
You know, tofu really might be a great challenge ingredient. There are lots of people who like it around the world and it might bring out some vegan and vegetarian recipes people have been sitting on. And also seems rather fair that you and a few others sit on the sidelines during many of these challenges. And I would definitely find it interesting to read. I ate some tofu in my 20s when I was a vegetarian for awhile. It wasn't my favorite but I am sure it's come a long way since the 1980s.

In judging, I'd be looking for how the chosen ingredient combines with other ingredients in the dish. It doesn't have to be the 'star' of the dish.
That's good, because apparently it was on my 1st grade report card that I did not follow instructions well.:whistling:

I'm ok with all of those, minus the tofu.

That said, I feel strongly that what may be perceived as a less-than popular ingredient should never get its moment to shine, just because a good number of folks my initially have reservations.

We have great cooks here, really inventive ones, and I've no doubt tofu would get some attention, and it might be nice to see what people do with it. It's something I've never seen (except in a package in the store), or eaten, so I'd take a "surprise me" attitude if it were suggested.

Also, we may get some other members who don't normally participate chiming in, because it's something they personally like, and never get to see.

I'd have no problem at all with a tofu challenge, even though I personally wouldn't be cooking for it.
Well, she did want to cut down the number of entries, LOL, soooo....

I'm ok with all of those, minus the tofu.

That said, I feel strongly that what may be perceived as a less-than popular ingredient should never get its moment to shine, just because a good number of folks my initially have reservations.

We have great cooks here, really inventive ones, and I've no doubt tofu would get some attention, and it might be nice to see what people do with it. It's something I've never seen (except in a package in the store), or eaten, so I'd take a "surprise me" attitude if it were suggested.

Also, we may get some other members who don't normally participate chiming in, because it's something they personally like, and never get to see.

I'd have no problem at all with a tofu challenge, even though I personally wouldn't be cooking for it.
Exactly. Well kind of what I said but not exactly.

The other thing to say here is that the entry doesn't have to be a main course. So its not really a case of it being 'a main player' in a meal necessarily.

Tofu ranks with ricotta, polenta, and grits.
they don´t really taste of anything, they´re not exciting ingredients on their own.
I´ve tried tofu in all its manifestations, and my conclusion is underwhelming.
Vegetables? Bring ´em on!

Tofu ranks with ricotta, polenta, and grits.
they don´t really taste of anything, they´re not exciting ingredients on their own.
I´ve tried tofu in all its manifestations, and my conclusion is underwhelming.
Vegetables? Bring ´em on!
I like ricotta and grits, I'd actually buy them. Polenta--not so much but I'd eat it if someone served it to me. Same thing with tofu.

I like ricotta and grits, I'd actually buy them. Polenta--not so much but I'd eat it if someone served it to me. Same thing with tofu.

All these ingredients are rather bland in themselves as karadekoolaid remarks. But the same could be said of pasta, rice, couscous and a lot of other ingredients. They work when combined with other flavours and ingredients. Its the combinations which interest me.

Back
Top Bottom