The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomatoes

If I would have won I would have suggested mozzarella, so as mozzarella pairs well with tomatoes, I will probably figure something out.
lol...

I do have a vegan mozzarella recipe I might make, but usually vegan mozzarella is lacking...

I'd been thinking green leaves such as sprouts, cabbage, kale, collard green, Asian greens and so on. the usually cooked sort rather than lettuce.

lol...

I do have a vegan mozzarella recipe I might make, but usually vegan mozzarella is lacking...

I'd been thinking green leaves such as sprouts, cabbage, kale, collard green, Asian greens and so on. the usually cooked sort rather than lettuce.
Yeah I thought about extending it to all kinds of fresh cheese including vegan ones, but that's not relevant now is it :wink:

Yeah I thought about extending it to all kinds of fresh cheese including vegan ones, but that's not relevant now is it :wink:
I see cheese in an upcoming challenge in the future..."waves magic wand and looks into the crystal ball"

So of course once I get grand ideas of all the wonderful things I can do with tomatoes, work decides to slam me with a huge project. Hopefully after Christmas I can get it going, but no telling at this point.

I've collected several possible entries, using either canned tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.

The hard part will be navigating around all the Christmas season cooking. I already have lots of things planned, but they don't really include tomatoes. I'm hoping I can sneak a couple in.

Tomato might be my single favorite ingredient. It just does so many things. Paired with chicken stock it makes a great foundation for various soups and stews. I'm thinking of some kind of vegetable soup, there's at least a few things in my fridge and freezer that I could get through with that.

I've collected several possible entries, using either canned tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.

The hard part will be navigating around all the Christmas season cooking. I already have lots of things planned, but they don't really include tomatoes. I'm hoping I can sneak a couple in.
The only holiday cooking I have planned is baking a pecan pie. I haven't made one in probably 30 years, but I love them. I thankfully was invited to our youngest daughter's house for Christmas dinner so I don't have to cook or clean. There will only be 6 of us (all vaccinated).

I've got a really great recipe idea for this challenge, hoping I get to make it before Christmas. Hard to believe it's only 2 weeks away! Harder to believe the year is nearly over.

Wish it were summer. I would raid my brothers garden for an assortment of heirloom tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes are available - the supermarket 'maters that do not have much taste.
Yes, in the summer here we usually have 4-5 plants that produce like crazy, way more than we can ever use. I did find some decent tomatoes at the farmer's market (not locally grown, of course). I had one last night, they are really good.

I've a few planned dishes already (nothing more than chopped tomatoes included so not really an entry) for the holiday season and on top of that we've a few nights away (subject to usual issues)... but with it being summer here (someone please tell the weather that, it was 6°C this morning, cold enough to stop grass growing) my tomatoes are just starting to flower. going to get them in the ground today or this week... due to get very warm by Wednesday.

but a lot of my tomato recipes are already uploaded, I'll have to be more creative, I guess.

Okay, so this is not an entry, but I will be using it in my challenge entry recipe later as an accent to another tomato-based recipe:

Recipe - Sundried tomato and roasted garlic infused olive oil

The jar is an old pasta sauce jar I had on hand. I tend to save jars and reuse them pretty regularly.

Here is another tomato based product I am going to use in the challenge: sundried tomato granules/powder. I didn't see the point in writing up a recipe for it since it's so simple. It's important, of course, to not use the canned sundried tomatoes, but instead the dehydrated kind:

Simply Put the desired amount of sundried tomatoes in a blender until it turns into granules or powder.

Last edited:
That oil is so, so delicious. I make lots of sundried tomatoes (well, oven-dried, more correctly: if I leave them in the sun, the birds/insects/flies/dog get to them first:D). The tomatoes are then re-hydrated and canned with garlic, oregano, peppercorns, capers and bay leaves.
Any oil left over looks very similar to what you show above.

That oil is so, so delicious. I make lots of sundried tomatoes (well, oven-dried, more correctly: if I leave them in the sun, the birds/insects/flies/dog get to them first:D). The tomatoes are then re-hydrated and canned with garlic, oregano, peppercorns, capers and bay leaves.
Yeah, I have a lot of tomatoes in the summer, but it's way too cold up here in the NE USA (I live about 40 miles south of Lake Erie) this time of year. I just figured I would use ones purchased from the store for this (plus the fresh ones I will be using for the rest of my challenge entry).

I know that there should be lots of tomatoes available to those who are south of the equator! If I could, I would live closer to the equator or have two homes that I could migrate between every 6 months or so to stay out of the cold!!!!

Yeah, I decided to keep it simple and limited to just two main ingredients (sundried tomatoes and roasted garlic) so it would be more versatile, but I like where you went with it when canning! For some stuff, though, the capers and bay leaves might not work as well.

Back
Top Bottom