The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomatoes

OK, guys, I´m detecting a sort of negative vibe here. " I can´t get fresh tomatoes" " My sister has fresh tomatoes all summer , but not now".:(:meh::ohmy::oops:
And that´s because you´re not being CREATIVE enough:D:D:D
Come ON! Get those tired old neurons working! Get the innovative juices flowing! Push some ideas down the hill and see if the wheels fall off!!:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Don't worry - you have included any type of tomato including tinned and dried so there is plenty of scope. I'll bet there will be no shortage of entries. There already 5 entries and challenge has only been up for 4 days!

I found out years ago that in Ohio during winter, if I can find firm, light red or pinkish roma (plum) tomatoes in the winter, I can give them a few weeks or more to ripen in a bowl on my kitchen counter and they will taste good. Also, roasting them amplifies the flavor. I made these last night:

Look at that lovely red color!

Dinner was great, I'll be writing up that recipe soon.

Last edited:
I agree - roasting definitely improves the flavour. So, curiously enough, does salting them.
I bought some Roma tomatoes in the supermarket the other day and couldn´t believe how tasteless they were. I made a Capressa salad anyway, but lightly salted the tomatoes before putting the salad together, and leaving the salad for about an hour before eating it.

Don't worry - you have included any type of tomato including tinned and dried so there is plenty of scope
I´m not worried at all - simply some leg-pulling going on:cool::cool: There are still 3 whole weeks to go for folks to get their ideas going, and I´m sure they will come up with some stunning recipes:bravo::bravo::bravo:

OK, guys, I´m detecting a sort of negative vibe here. " I can´t get fresh tomatoes" " My sister has fresh tomatoes all summer , but not now".:(:meh::ohmy::oops:
And that´s because you´re not being CREATIVE enough:D:D:D
Come ON! Get those tired old neurons working! Get the innovative juices flowing! Push some ideas down the hill and see if the wheels fall off!!:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

No problem, not being negative, just eliminating the winter cardboard fresh tomatoes, and thinking aloud....

Working on a couple of ideas... And in my case, other than something seafood oriented for Christmas Eve, I've no real holiday food commitments for awhile. Oh, some Greek Christmas cookies. Neither should stand in the way.

Saturday a friend and I went out for Linner (sort of lunch or dinner, due to the time we ate). I had a wonderful eggplant parm - topped with a great tomato sauce (nd tons of mozzarella cheese). So there is lots to be done with tomatoes even if canned.

I agree - roasting definitely improves the flavour. So, curiously enough, does salting them.
I bought some Roma tomatoes in the supermarket the other day and couldn´t believe how tasteless they were. I made a Capressa salad anyway, but lightly salted the tomatoes before putting the salad together, and leaving the salad for about an hour before eating it.
I salted mine, too, and drizzled them with sundried tomato and roasted garlic infused oil before roasting.

Fresh tomato recipes this time of the year is like taking a sharp stick and poking at your eye, very painful and regretful, so I just don't do that. :)

Not so much here. I'm beginning to realise how lucky I am. I just popped into my mouth a delicious golden yellow baby tomato grown in Thanet (not far from me). Its bursting with flavour and I really can't fault it.

But anyway, for those who can't obtain good fresh tomatoes there are options for using tomatoes in other forms.

Not so much here. I'm beginning to realise how lucky I am. I just popped into my mouth a delicious golden yellow baby tomato grown in Thanet (not far from me). Its bursting with flavour and I really can't fault it.

But anyway, for those who can't obtain good fresh tomatoes there are options for using tomatoes in other forms.
Same here, but only little tomatoes for the most part are tasty in winter. I pay for them but they're around. Romas and bigger are iffy.

Recipe - Tomato Dumplings

This is what my mom would call "a real old-timey dish" - essentially, it's stewed tomatoes with drop biscuits cooked atop the simmering vegetables (sorry, I simply cannot bring myself to call those dumplings!). I remember my grandmother making a very similar dish frequently, and it's funny how, in our family growing up, a person either loved stewed tomatoes or despised them, and we were just about evenly split on the matter.

I did make one mistake (I always make at least one mistake when I'm cooking something): since this is a recipe for stewed tomatoes, I'd meant to leave the tomatoes barely chopped, but I got distracted and kept chopping and chopping and chopping some more, until I ended up with more of a chunky sauce than proper stewed tomatoes.

That's why, if you look at that one pic, you'll see a pan-seared chicken breast in there. I didn't include that as part of the recipe, as I had to improvise that at the last minute. That's an interesting thing in itself, though, because I seared it using a technique I picked up from America's Test Kitchen - I baked boneless, skinless breasts until nearly done, then painted them with a butter-flour-cornstarch-pepper slurry, and browned them off in a hot skillet. Ah...a recipe for another challenge, perhaps.

The drop biscuits, because they're simmered in a covered pot and not baked, are wonderfully light and fluffy from outside to inside. When you remove the lid, you'll likely think they're not done, because they'll look shiny and wet on the outside, but if you cook them the required time and at the required temp, and don't take the lid off to peek, they'll be just fine.

Bad lighting doesn't do it justice.

Back
Top Bottom