The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomatoes

I don't know if I want to actually enter this. First, it definitely falls into the "tastes better than it looks" category, because it looks ugly. Second, karadekoolaid would have to imagine that I can get good fresh tomatoes here, and imagine that is what I used. The tomatoes I used "weren't bad," but that is the highest praise I can give them.

Fried tomato caprese salad...

1639887006555.jpeg

CD

I don't know if I want to actually enter this. First, it definitely falls into the "tastes better than it looks" category, because it looks ugly. Second, karadekoolaid would have to imagine that I can get good fresh tomatoes here, and imagine that is what I used. The tomatoes I used "weren't bad," but that is the highest praise I can give them.

Fried tomato caprese salad...

View attachment 77467

CD

I don't think this does look ugly. Its rather an elegant presentation!

Recipe - Peruvian Steak, Onion, And Tomato Stir-Fry (Lomo Saltado)

I posted in the Plans For Today topic that I've had a rough weekend work-wise, and it's put me way behind. This was supposed to be made last night, and as it stood, it nearly didn't get made tonight.

I'd gotten a late start this morning and didn't get to leave the house until 12:30PM. I had my big pre-Christmas grocery shopping to do, as well as a couple of other stops, and so I already felt rushed. Sure enough, I didn't get back home until 4:30PM, and seeing as we like to eat around 5:30PM, and I had all those groceries to put away...I really didn't see myself cooking tonight.

Then I remembered we have plans tomorrow night (Christmas lights at the zoo), and before you know it, it'll be Christmas, and we're having beef at Christmas as well, so I hitched on my big boy pants, as the kids like to say, and got to cooking.

That's where we get to this recipe. First of all, international dish and name, which to me, automatically says, "You're going to really have to take your time and pay attention, because there will be some unfamiliarity here..." Nope. Just a handful of common-to-me ingredients and no unaccustomed techniques at all.

That meant, starting at 5PM, we were eating by 6PM, just a mere 30 minutes past our usual time. Not bad at all.

On to the dish - it's lightly seasoned, just enough to notice, and the main spice that comes through is the cumin, though it's not overpowering (which can easily happen with cumin). What I really liked, though, was the recommended pairing with steak fries. The combination of the crispy-fluffy potatoes with the warm tomatoes, a bit of onion, pepper, and steak...heavenly; especially the tomatoes.

I want to add that I know our judge has an affinity for South American cuisine, and that by making a classic Peruvian dish, I am in no way trying to gain favor in that manner. Being the intelligent, considerate, debonair person he is, to attempt to sway him by appealing to his exceedingly good nature and exceptional taste would be a useless endeavor on my part, so I shall not even try. :whistling:

Recipe - Turkish-Style Scrambled Eggs (Menemen)

Obviously, this is more about the accompaniment of the pepper-onion-tomato mixture than it is the eggs, but we all sometimes need a solid foundation in order to shine, and that's what the eggs are for.

I cooked this, then plated MrsT's portion, and while I was plating and photographing mine, this is what I heard:

"I don't like this. Too much going on. Too many flavors."
<tick...tock...tick...tock>
"You know, this isn't too bad, once it grows on you."
"This is pretty good. When are you going to make this again?"

I'll take that as a win.

It may not seem like a lot of tomatoes, but they really come through, especially with a little lift from the capers. For myself, I ended up going back for another scoop of the tomato-pepper mixture because it worked so well with the eggs.

Recipe - Turkish-Style Scrambled Eggs (Menemen)

Obviously, this is more about the accompaniment of the pepper-onion-tomato mixture than it is the eggs, but we all sometimes need a solid foundation in order to shine, and that's what the eggs are for.

I cooked this, then plated MrsT's portion, and while I was plating and photographing mine, this is what I heard:

"I don't like this. Too much going on. Too many flavors."
"You know, this isn't too bad, once it grows on you."
"This is pretty good. When are you going to make this again?"

I'll take that as a win.

It may not seem like a lot of tomatoes, but they really come through, especially with a little lift from the capers. For myself, I ended up going back for another scoop of the tomato-pepper mixture because it worked so well with the eggs.

How's come I can't like, laugh, and love that all at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom