The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomatoes

Are you eating cereal right now?

More eggs!

I've recently made BLTs (Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwiches), but while amusing myself surfing after rolling tomatoes that seemed to roll faster and flee my inquiries, I was watching "The Fault In Our Stars" and the sandwich called a Dutch cheese sandwich came up in dialogue. It appealed to me, even though in the flick, it was a floppy 'mom made it' sort of sandwich.

OK, so the mention did not include anything about tomato. But I was curious and googled for 'Dutch cheese sandwich' to find that it was a smoked Gouda cheese type of BLT, heavily embellished. The tomatoes were there and it wasn't your common BLT. My salivation ticked in. There was such room to play with this, I thought. I could imagine the smoked Gouda, some toasted extra sour New York rye, the lettuce and tomato, and lots of embellishments. But I could see even greater possibilities, by skipping the rye and going for a crepe pastry shell. I added it to my short list of 5 tomato possibilities and will try to go with it before the challenge ends. - try. Else, I will do it next year, future.

This is how cooking ideas come, chasing fleeing rolling tomatoes while watching a movie.

Last edited:
I won't have time to do it, but I had a suggestion come my way regarding a pasta sauce made from yellow tomatoes, instead of the red ones. Perhaps, somebody else might pick up on this. By the time I do, the challenge will be over and besides, I will likely max out my six entries before I can think up anything special with yellow tomatoes.

I am told that yellow tomatoes are sweeter than the red varieties. I don't know the truth of that yet.

I am definitely no expert on the matter, but I´d say it depends on how they´re grown. When I first saw tomatoes in Venezuela, I thought " OMG! Wonderful, red, ripe, sweet tomatoes!" - and was disappointed. they grow too fast.
My dad used to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse in Kent, UK. they´d ripen very slowly, but were absolutely deliciously sweet. I ate huge "heirloom" tomatoes in Italy and Greece -again, sweet and juicy.
Hydroponic tomatoes, in general, I always find a bit lacking in flavour. I cut them open and sprinkle them with a little salt before eating them. That tends to improve the flavour.
I just bought some miced cherry tomatoes from Kroger, including some greenish-purple ones called "kumate". They´re wonderfully sweet, although the skin is much tougher than the red/yellow varieties.

I just bought some miced cherry tomatoes from Kroger, including some greenish-purple ones called "kumate". They´re wonderfully sweet, although the skin is much tougher than the red/yellow varieties.

Perhaps that's it. It was mentioned that the small cherry yellow tomatoes were sweeter, not yellow in general. The yellow tomato offers some color variance in any case.

Back
Top Bottom