The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomatoes

I think a creamy mayonnaise/yogurt/sour cream dip, made with a little buttermilk, would be great, especially with fresh basil in there, and a lot of fresh-cracked black pepper.
I'll just take the sauce/dip if you please. I think would taste delicious on just about anything!

I am definitely no expert on the matter, but I´d say it depends on how they´re grown. When I first saw tomatoes in Venezuela, I thought " OMG! Wonderful, red, ripe, sweet tomatoes!" - and was disappointed. they grow too fast.
My dad used to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse in Kent, UK. they´d ripen very slowly, but were absolutely deliciously sweet. I ate huge "heirloom" tomatoes in Italy and Greece -again, sweet and juicy.
Hydroponic tomatoes, in general, I always find a bit lacking in flavour. I cut them open and sprinkle them with a little salt before eating them. That tends to improve the flavour.
I just bought some miced cherry tomatoes from Kroger, including some greenish-purple ones called "kumate". They´re wonderfully sweet, although the skin is much tougher than the red/yellow varieties.
I love kumatos. I've bought them plenty of times.

I bought some romas and some cherry tomatoes before Christmas, using my usual method of selecting light red or pinkish very firm romas and letting them gradually ripen on my kitchen counter. They are pretty spectacular. The cherry tomatoes were good as purchased but the flavor has also improved greatly.

The yellow aren't quite as sweet and flavorful as the red.

A few weeks ago when the challenge was first presented and I was toying around with ideas for recipes, I made a roasted garlic and sundried tomato infused EVOO, and it's just been getting better and better whilst being stored in my refrigerator. A few nights ago, I drizzled some of the oil over some tomatoes and roasted them in my toaster oven to use for a sauce (pictures below are not of the ones I made the other night but the same method):
1641242909227.png

I liked the meal I created using seafood and roasted tomato/roasted garlic alla vodka sauce a few weeks ago, but I never wrote up the recipe. It's fine, because the Chilean seabass with alla vodka sauce over pasta I made a few nights ago was vastly superior and I will be writing it up soon!

Last edited:
Oh my gosh! 3 days left and I haven't even started my last 2 recipes.

Bookmarker for my Eggs in Louisiana Creole Purgatory entry. If JAS_OH1 can do it, so can I. :okay: I need to scale the recipe, because I made a lot of extra sauce for other uses. I plan to post a recipe for 4 servings.

View attachment 78739

CD
Dang it!
I thought I put in my CMT account!
Back this train up!
<edit - caseydog did you post that recipe or am I dreaming? Want that!!>

Last edited:
Bookmarker for my Eggs in Louisiana Creole Purgatory entry. If JAS_OH1 can do it, so can I. :okay: I need to scale the recipe, because I made a lot of extra sauce for other uses. I plan to post a recipe for 4 servings.

View attachment 78739

CD
This seems a bit like a cool spin on a shakshuka. Very interested in the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom