The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomatoes

For those looking for something tomato to do for the challenge, try Hungarian goulash or goulash soup. It's usually made with beef and vegetables. It's great for the winter soup fans out there. There's also a Hungarian cattleman's soup called Gulyasleves that is worth taking a look at.

I'll be looking to do one of these sometime next year, but won't get time to do so for this tomato challenge.

Recipe - Tomato Confit

20211226_202030.jpg

20211226_202324.jpg

Recipe - Tomato Fritters

Pan-fried fritters filled with chopped tomato and onion? Yes, please!

These are an ideal side dish to almost any meal, and with the bits of red in there, along with the golden exterior, quite a pretty one as well. They'd also make a perfect appetizer.

Light and crispy, very tomatoey, it's a little bite of summer all year round, thanks to using canned tomatoes, which I think work better than fresh, if I'm honest, even during tomato season.

I wish I'd had the forethought to get a shot of the interior, but we gobbled these right down.

TastyReuben as an appy, would you say that a sauce might work and what sort would you suggest?
I think a creamy mayonnaise/yogurt/sour cream dip, made with a little buttermilk, would be great, especially with fresh basil in there, and a lot of fresh-cracked black pepper.

TastyReuben as an appy, would you say that a sauce might work and what sort would you suggest?
I wanted to add that these will sometimes be served with breakfast with maple syrup poured on them. I've never tried that, and I'm not going to try that, but it's one of the ways they're commonly served.

Back
Top Bottom