The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Turmeric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone, and I mean everyone, who contributed recipes to this particular challenge. I was a bit worried initially that I'd made a bad choice. But after reviewing all the recipes I'm just blown away at the quality and diversity of how people approached this particular ingredient, which admittedly can be a little challenging. Of course, that makes picking a "winner" nigh on impossible, and I would like to preface judging with the comment that ANY of the submitted recipes would have been worthy winners. I truly mean that.

OK, my initial system was relatively simple. I gave ticks to each recipe with 4 ticks being the highest. Unfortunately, that didn't narrow it down too much as I ended up with so many 4 tick results, and none less then 3 ticks. Some of those 4 tick recipes were;

flyinglentris recipe for robagusti bread (and quite a few more of flyinglentris recipes got similiar ratings). But that bread really took my fancy.
ElizabethB, your honey chicken sounded delightful
JAS_OH1 nearly took it out with the cauliflower and garlic soup recipe, as well as the tumeric pancakes.
I loved The Late Night Gourmet harissa recipe, I will be trying this for sure!! Also, if you had submitted an entry for those "Mellow Yellow" tumeric chicken burgers I can assure you they'd be in the running. They loooked mouth watering.
And some really interesting recipes as always from Hemulen, I particularly liked the look of the recipe for the salmon and tumeric timbale. This dish was very nearly the winner.
Burt Blank gave us some really high standard dishes (as usual) and particularly in contention from my viewpoint were the spicy pork yoghurt dish, and the coronation chicken dish looked to die for.
Yorky, your chicken kohlapuri looked superb!! I want some....now!!
And as usual, a big thanks to Morning Glory for coming up with a few last minute, but superb sounding and looking recipes (especially the dal and lamb dishes) just to make the judging that more difficult.

Anyway, given the high standard I reverted to my previous judging criteria of which dish did I most want to eat and try right now if i can only pick one. And that dish was definitely flyinglentris' recipe for "Chicken Soup with Corn Dumplings". Congratulations, and a big thankyou for laying out such a detailed recipe for the dish. Cheers!!
Congratulations, flyinglentris! When you posted what turned out to be the winner, I was blown away. A very worthy win for sure!

Thanks to everyone, and I mean everyone, who contributed recipes to this particular challenge. I was a bit worried initially that I'd made a bad choice. But after reviewing all the recipes I'm just blown away at the quality and diversity of how people approached this particular ingredient, which admittedly can be a little challenging. Of course, that makes picking a "winner" nigh on impossible, and I would like to preface judging with the comment that ANY of the submitted recipes would have been worthy winners. I truly mean that.

OK, my initial system was relatively simple. I gave ticks to each recipe with 4 ticks being the highest. Unfortunately, that didn't narrow it down too much as I ended up with so many 4 tick results, and none less then 3 ticks. Some of those 4 tick recipes were;

flyinglentris recipe for robagusti bread (and quite a few more of flyinglentris recipes got similiar ratings). But that bread really took my fancy.
ElizabethB, your honey chicken sounded delightful
JAS_OH1 nearly took it out with the cauliflower and garlic soup recipe, as well as the tumeric pancakes.
I loved The Late Night Gourmet harissa recipe, I will be trying this for sure!! Also, if you had submitted an entry for those "Mellow Yellow" tumeric chicken burgers I can assure you they'd be in the running. They loooked mouth watering.
And some really interesting recipes as always from Hemulen, I particularly liked the look of the recipe for the salmon and tumeric timbale. This dish was very nearly the winner.
Burt Blank gave us some really high standard dishes (as usual) and particularly in contention from my viewpoint were the spicy pork yoghurt dish, and the coronation chicken dish looked to die for.
Yorky, your chicken kohlapuri looked superb!! I want some....now!!
And as usual, a big thanks to Morning Glory for coming up with a few last minute, but superb sounding and looking recipes (especially the dal and lamb dishes) just to make the judging that more difficult.

Anyway, given the high standard I reverted to my previous judging criteria of which dish did I most want to eat and try right now if i can only pick one. And that dish was definitely flyinglentris' recipe for "Chicken Soup with Corn Dumplings". Congratulations, and a big thankyou for laying out such a detailed recipe for the dish. Cheers!!

Woa! I'm somewhere in a cloud. I kind of figured that I had two or three exceptional recipes, but I was astonished by the recipes of others as I recently went through the listing. It has always been a perceived benefit to me to share in the recipes presented by other members and to share ideas and feedback. To those many members who ran neck and neck on this and gave MC such difficulty choosing, Bravo.

Thank You all for sharing your recipes. And to MC, thank you for your complimentary assessment, not only for my recipes, but for those of other members, included. Thank You.

I do already have an ingredient in mind for the next challenge. I went through the list of chosen ingredients about a week ago and tried to figure out what would be a good choice of something different. I resolved things down to three candidates, of which, I will only mention the one I ultimately favored - Pistachios.

Pistachios is an unusual ingredient for cooking, but it is also a challenge to figure out just how to make use of it in any number of recipes. If you all give it the same zeal as you did Turmeric, the forthcoming weeks will produce a new crop of great culinary treats.

Thanks all, for sharing and participating in this challenge.

congr.gif

Well done, flyinglentris - a well deserved win! You had several wonderful and interesting entries - and the chicken-dumpling soup looks absolutely mouthwatering.

The competition has evolved into a culinary cornucopia. In my opinion, it brings forth innovation, jovial rivalry and sterling recipes. (Edit) Can't wait to start developing entries with pistachios:hyper:.

Last edited:
I think we might be having a "show me your baklava" in the near future, among others. Nice choice, flyinglentris!

I think we will see some interesting applications of Pistatios, from crushed toppings and rubs, to included ingredients in dough, stews and meat dishes to desserts. I think we might se some people getting out their mortar and pestle to crush and powder Pistachios for various culinary conceptions. It's been a while probably, as it has been for me, for folks to use mortar and pestle. Pistachios may stimulate such usage.

After I posted Pistachios as my choice and having read your Baklava post, I did some googling to see how people and chefs on the web were using Pistachios and found a wealth of diversity in recipes. Doing some research there will stimulate the creative vibe for members, I firmly believe.

Woa! I'm somewhere in a cloud. I kind of figured that I had two or three exceptional recipes, but I was astonished by the recipes of others as I recently went through the listing. It has always been a perceived benefit to me to share in the recipes presented by other members and to share ideas and feedback. To those many members who ran neck and neck on this and gave MC such difficulty choosing, Bravo.

Thank You all for sharing your recipes. And to MC, thank you for your complimentary assessment, not only for my recipes, but for those of other members, included. Thank You.

Thanks all, for sharing and participating in this challenge.
Congrats, Flyinglentris!!

flyinglentris
A well deserved win. Congratulations!!
I wish I had not previously posted my savory sweet potato casserole recipe with pistachio topping.
I know, and my turmeric and pineapple pancakes with pistachios!

I dunno. I eat pistachios like ALL THE TIME, I alternate between roasted almonds, cashews, and pistachios. Just plain to snack on, love them all. I always have a bag on hand. Not a fan of peanuts so much, that's squirrel food, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom