The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Turmeric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2017 we had The CookingBites Spice Challenge: Spice of the Month (May 2017) - Turmeric. The OP has some ideas about how turmeric can be used. There were 6 entries (in those days we had very few entries for challenges and less 'active members' in general). Here are the entries with links and my comments at the time. I thought this might spark a few ideas. The winner was Elawin

Ken Natton's Chicken and Chorizo Rice This is a delightfully straightforward dish and would be a great recipe to recommend to someone who had never cooked with turmeric. Personally I'm not a chorizo fan but I can see how it would work very well in this dish. I think the colour combinations of yellow rice, green peas and red onion would look very good on the plate.

SatNavSaysStraightOn's Mushroom Curry with rice and chipatti
Well, I always love a curry and I will probably be cooking this one soon. Great spicing!

Elawin's Anda Dar-Behest (Aromatic Souffle Omelette) and Alu Bhoone (Sauteed Potatoes)
Two entries on one plate! I thought the combination of spices was well judged in both dishes. There is no doubt that turmeric partners very well with both eggs and potatoes and the turmeric takes centre stage in both dishes

Francesca's Turmeric, Ginger and Carrot Gaspacho
I imagine this is a vibrantly brightly coloured smoothie with the oranges, carrots, turmeric and mango. But would the turmeric flavour be lost alongside the fruit, I wondered.

Yorky's Aromatic yellow rice (Madhur Jaffrey)
What's not to like? Rice is the perfect vehicle to showcase the beautiful colour and subtle taste of turmeric.

I missed your meaning with your previous post: you do literally mean that you made chutney in bread maker. I was looking for the bread in your previous picture. :laugh: Now that I think of it, this does make sense: it must allow you to thicken the chutney without having to watch it on the stovetop.

He does mean that. It wasn't until recently I realised that could be done!

Recipe - Turmeric Seasoned Chicken Soup

This is a regular staple in our house in the winter months, though I know that it probably doesn't sound great to those of you in the Southern Hemisphere right now! Nothing is more comforting than a bowl of hot homemade chicken soup, especially with the addition of healing turmeric. And as Russ would say, "Plenty of pepper!"

1607117838785.png

1607117658219.png

I have a wonderful Tumeric desert idea (my 6th Tumeric Recipe idea) in mind and I hope I can do it on time. I need a couple 18 Oz. Crystal Goblets to pull it off and I don't have them. And I don't know if I will find and get them in time.

I'll do the recipe regardless, even if I have to post it after the deadline as a non-entry.

That is very precise! Can't you use some other type of glassware?

I don't have anything else that is crystal, except some wine glasses and they are two small. I could only find on the web 18 Oz. crystal goblets big enough to make a visible splash. I have now ordered a set of two and they arrive Dec 16th, if shipping goes well, which can't be counted on these days with the pandemic.

I am finding Tumeric to be a very versatile spice and have now ideas for up to eight recipes, some of which are totally out of orbit (for my experience) and others that tend toward things that are somewhat more terrestrial. I am having things come to me in my dreams at night! And there is typically a combination of Tumeric with one other spice, only one case with two other spices.

What sort of thing do you mean?

I was contemplating a turmeric foam...

Foam?

I will be Out of Orbit using Fruit Pastes.

I have ideas for the following:
1) a Bread
2) a Casserole
3) a Creamed Entree
4) a Desert Entree
5) a Fruit Paste Entree
6) a Quiche
7) a Salad
8) a Soup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back