The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Wine

Lamb Manicotti with Creamy Tomato Wine Sauce

full.jpg

full.jpg

Of the six types of wine that I bought, the only one that I have yet to use is the Chenin Blanc. I will be putting that toward a seafood dish soon, - something simple and even so, I have yet to fully work out the details.

If it helps to stimulate members to come up with wine recipes, here's my remaining list of brain-stormed ideas...

- a stir fry
- home made ravioli
- a spice island mash and possibly a related spice coulis
- something approaching artistic molecular gastronomy using the mash/coulis
- a braised chicken half breast
- something with a salmon fillet, but not settled yet on details.
- a chutney or curry (which are dishes I have never done before)
- another soup

Hm I don't have the energy to make wine dishes anymore, I don't know if I should try another wine dish, some sound interesting like winemaker goulash or wine cream (on a NYC?).
Right now I'm just drinking the remaining wine.
Stay healthy

I have enjoyed your posts and I hope you are not getting discouraged. My recipes are from an amateur cook and largely for my own enjoyment, when I cook and consume. It pleases me when other members express interest in what I put together and it pleases me more to read their recipes and learn from them, as well as at least imagining what they must taste like, if not actually cooking one of those recipes up.

As you say, Stay Healthy.

Unless I need a full bottle for braising, I use those fairly cheap mini bottles a lot. I usually have a handful of little cab, merlot, pinto (both grigio and noir), and Sauvignon blanc bottles sitting around. Great for pan sauces and the like.
I'm with you on this 👍. I have a number of recipes that call for 187ml of wine or less, these mini bottles are perfect for that, especially when cooking for two people. The recipe for tonight's meal calls for 150ml of wine white, so mini bottle of pino grigio will do just nicely. Cabernet-Syrah and Syrah are two mini reds I cook with regularly.

I'm not a big fan of alcohol and so I don't know any dish yet, what makes me a little bit nervous. But thank you and all the other here, it is definitely a nice challenge and wine has a big history I could dig in, but yeah I've to do other things as well.
Stay healthy

I too, am not a big fan of alcohol or recreational intoxicants. I do view certain alcoholic beverages as luxury food accompaniments and will enjoy a beer or wine with food from time to time, mostly on holidays or special occasions. To use wine to flavor food is not something that has been common in my cooking. But thus far, the recipes I have come up with have demonstrated its usefulness and I expect that the alcohol content is largely reduced by cooking.

The thing I do note is that using wine in cooking is an expensive ingredient, perhaps more so than the pistachio nuts in the challenge I made. That may account for the reduced participation in this challenge.

I have made a traditional Jewish stew with red wine as my entry for this challenge. My hands were itching to use Claudia Roden's book of Jewish cooking for the first time and this is the result. I did tweak it a bit, with the help of the internet.

Recipe - Tzimmes, Jewish lamb stew with prunes

The thing I do note is that using wine in cooking is an expensive ingredient, perhaps more so than the pistachio nuts in the challenge I made. That may account for the reduced participation in this challenge.
That's a possibility. In my case, I had bottles sitting around that I wasn't using for anything (hey...wine improves with age, right?) For me, there's no new investment. I am hoping that most participants have a similar situation.

ADCF805F-E44C-45DC-9815-504197ECBF46.jpeg

I decided to cook chicken breasts with white wine, cremini mushrooms, rosemary, garlic, and lemon juice. It was delicious, but I was very disappointed that it didn’t brown the surface at all, even putting it under the broiler. I think I should’ve mixed in some oil.

By the way, it wasn't my intent when I picked this ingredient that I would prepare some of the recipes, but it's turning out that way. And, I'm having a lot of fun with it. I know it's not a requirement when judging an ingredient, but I think doing this should really be encouraged. I wish I had done more of this in past challenges.

I plan to make at least 2 more of the recipes that were posted.

By the way, it wasn't my intent when I picked this ingredient that I would prepare some of the recipes, but it's turning out that way. And, I'm having a lot of fun with it. I know it's not a requirement when judging an ingredient, but I think doing this should really be encouraged. I wish I had done more of this in past challenges.

I plan to make at least 2 more of the recipes that were posted.
That's great to hear, I am glad you're enjoying yourself as a judge. Makes it much more fun for everyone.

That is where the mini bottles come in. You do not need to open a 750 ml bottle of wine for a cup. Once you try cooking with wine you will probably will be hooked.

Back
Top Bottom