The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Wine

Once you try cooking with wine you will probably will be hooked.

I am already finding this out. There's such a richness that it seems to bring with the things I've tried. I really hadn't used it for anything other than pasta sauce before. So, the wine goes somewhere besides just in my belly? Terrific. :okay:

Wine adds both acid and sweetness to you dish. Try a splash of white wine in your scrambled eggs. If you are making a gravy add red wine. Braising - large amounts of wine. White wine for poultry, red wine for red meat or pork. I can not begin to describe the richness added by using wine. The Late Night Gourmet I am surprised that you have not experimented with wine. You create so many amazing, original dishes. Now I am scared. You have discovered wine as a culinary ingredient. OMG!!! You will be dangerous!

Pea sprout & feta soup
pea_3.jpg

I cook with wine frequently, especially when I braise .
I made Venison Back Strap with wine and ginger for dinner last night. I will post the recipe. I do not consider it a contender since wine is the flavor agent and not the primary ingredient.

Is wine the braising liquid? I would think that would make it a primary ingredient. Just curious.

CD

Is wine the braising liquid? I would think that would make it a primary ingredient. Just curious.

CD
Yes, wine is the primary braising liquid. I suppose you are correct . I have always considered the wine as a flavoring agent. I guess it is a primary ingredient. Thanks.

Thank you, everybody, for your recipes so far. The fact that I am making a number of your recipes means I will certainly use up all my wine. This wasn’t the goal when I chose this ingredient: I love adding a technique or style to my arsenal. It makes food taste better, because you make it that way.

This means I will actually have to buy wine from time to time. I love that: I feel like I’m more sophisticated if I’m buying wine instead of hard liquor or beer.

oh… And, this: chicken breast, brussels sprouts, balsamic vinegar, Chardonnay, oil this time. Thank you all for continuing to inspire me.

7B8BC67D-AB4D-40D8-9660-9700F9D4D8A2.jpeg

Last edited:
609A2F81-0E5C-4676-8B3B-689610A24AB7.jpeg

my rendition of @flyinglentris’ Beef Barley Wine Soup. Comments and adjustments will be posted to that recipe shortly. By the way, don’t take adjustments I made personally. Consider these two facts: 1) it’s me, 2) I am making a recipe.

Of course I’m going to change it. I don’t care if you are a famous chef. There’s probably something about what you did that I want to change. You’re in good company.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom