The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (June 2017): Mustard

My apologies @Elawin that I missed the chance to offer my congratulations on the Turmeric thread. Clearly an excellent winner of that particular challenge.

I confess that I have never quite thought of mustard as a spice - I immediately now realise that it very obviously is exactly that, I just hadn't thought of it as such. I suppose if I had been asked I would probably have used the word 'condiment'. Whatever, I am much more confident that I can make a better contribution to this challenge...

My apologies @Elawin that I missed the chance to offer my congratulations on the Turmeric thread. Clearly an excellent winner of that particular challenge.

I confess that I have never quite thought of mustard as a spice - I immediately now realise that it very obviously is exactly that, I just hadn't thought of it as such. I suppose if I had been asked I would probably have used the word 'condiment'. Whatever, I am much more confident that I can make a better contribution to this challenge...

You can use mustard (the condiment) or mustard seeds for the Spice Challenge (or even both!). Your post made me think though - there aren't many condiments which are made from one spice without lots of other ingredients added... in fact I can't think of any others.

You can use mustard (the condiment) or mustard seeds for the Spice Challenge (or even both!). Your post made me think though - there aren't many condiments which are made from one spice without lots of other ingredients added... in fact I can't think of any others.
What about ground mustard?

What about ground mustard?
Do you mean as in mustard powder? We have the Coleman's brand in the UK which is super hot and comes in powdered form in tins or paste forms in jars. But yes, of course its included. :okay:

colmans-original-english-mustard-powder-and-tin-and-preprepared-mustard-ACGJJA.jpg

No, I mean as in ground mustard seeds. It is sold on the spice aisle.
Yes of course - mustard seeds in any form you like... :) Oddly, although a lot of spices are sold in the UK in both whole and ground form, mustard (other than the powder pictured above) only seems to be sold as whole seeds (white/yellow or brown/black types) - that is, in the supermarket aisle.

Do you mean as in mustard powder? We have the Coleman's brand in the UK which is super hot and comes in powdered form in tins or paste forms in jars. But yes, of course its included. :okay:

View attachment 7849
I adore the stuff. Until about five years ago I never ate mustard as a condiment, but then something changed with my taste buds and I now eat English mustard with most meats. Dijon and wholegrain I use a lot in sauces.

I adore the stuff. Until about five years ago I never ate mustard as a condiment, but then something changed with my taste buds and I now eat English mustard with most meats. Dijon and wholegrain I use a lot in sauces.
If you like English mustard then there is one you need to try. Its even hotter (and tastier) than Colman's. I will have to look it up as I don't have any right now.

The mustard in question is Daylesford Strong English mustard. I used to be able to get it from Ocado but they seem to have stopped stocking it. So, I've just gone to the Daylesford website and have ordered 5 jars! One will be included as part of the prize for this months spice challenge!

CF030435-540x540.jpg

The mustard in question is Daylesford Strong English mustard. I used to be able to get it from Ocado but they seem to have stopped stocking it. So, I've just gone to the Daylesford website and have ordered 5 jars! One will be included as part of the prize for this months spice challenge!

View attachment 7853
OK, now I have a new mission!

Back
Top Bottom