The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (June 2017): Mustard

Nice one Ken. I think that one may have been done before :roflmao:

Well what about the Irish potato cake? Leave the chives out and add mustard. Or even leave the chives in and add mustard.

No? Still not a contender? Okay, I'm going to have to work a little harder...

Eggs Kejriwal - a classic Mumbai breakfast dish, but also suitable as a light lunch.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/eggs-kejriwal.9914/

WP_20170613_14_47_54_Pro.jpg

I'm fine with sauces, guys. Please post your mustard sauce recipes...

Mustard sauce

3 tblsp Butter
1 Onion, finely chopped
3 tsp English mustard powder
1 oz Plain flour
8 fl oz Milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a very low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the flour and mustard powder and cook over low heat for about a minute. Whisk in the milk a little at a time. Cook and whisk until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.

Mustard sauce

3 tblsp Butter
1 Onion, finely chopped
3 tsp English mustard powder
1 oz Plain flour
8 fl oz Milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a very low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the flour and mustard powder and cook over low heat for about a minute. Whisk in the milk a little at a time. Cook and whisk until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
As before @Yorky - as its a recipe can you post it as a thread? Cheers.

As before @Yorky - as its a recipe can you post it as a thread? Cheers.

Yes, I can do. It's not an entry for the challenge; in fact I cannot remember when I last made it. It was an accompaniment to barbecued pork loin I remember. I'll try and dig out an image but I'm doubtful that I have one.

Whilst I was searching for an image of the mustard sauce I found this. Now I only have to find the recipe for it.

It's my age.

Sauteed kidley in mustard cream sauce. Bring on the offal!

kidley in mustard sauce.jpg

Whilst I was searching for an image of the mustard sauce I found this. Now I only have to find the recipe for it.

It's my age.

Sauteed kidley in mustard cream sauce. Bring on the offal!

View attachment 8024
Now you are talking! That is my sort of food :hungry:
If you can't find a recipe I will happily invent one!

I remember cooking it and also I remember preparing the kidley. It was a pig's kidley about the size of a beef fillet. But by the time I'd cut out all the gristle (a major task) it was only about 1/3rd of the size. Probably why I've lost the recipe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom