The Dutch food thread, because Dutch food isn't so bad as its reputation.

Did you try Dutch food before?

• No but I have an opinion anyway (describe below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dutch pancakes.

Pancakes were eaten by all people in the Netherlands for most of history , before the 1600s of course there were no potatoes in the Netherlands and grain and thus bread, porridge and pancakes were our main common source of energy rich food.
Of course pancakes are not uniquely Dutch, but these are different from American, French and apparently English Pancakes as mentioned by Morning Glory .
Pancakes, of course were also a staple of Dutch vegetarian food in it's startup period. They can be made sweet or savory, I made a slightly sweet version here which is often enhanced with apples or raisins, or even rum soaked raisins called 'boerenjongens' (farmer's boys) . The popular savory versions include bacon and cheese as popular ingredients.
Banaan boekweit pannenkoeken.jpg

Mod edit:
Recipe moved to its own thread

Dutch Pancakes

Last edited by a moderator:
I read recently that Fish & Chips was brought over to the UK by Dutch Jews. Wouldn't surprise me.
There's no clear source on that, I've checked multiple but I actually found that the most likely source of your Fish and Chips is that they came from Belgium, because Fries were originally invented there, though that is disputed too. French fries - Wikipedia I personally believe Belgium to be the original fry capital however, based on my own research which I will delve into later.

Funny, i'm not a pancake fan, but 2 days ago I did make a spekpannekoek (bacon pancake)
No idea about the recipe. I just put flour, egg, milk and salt till it looks right. Except I had no milk, so I used water.

Current craving is borrelnootjes :)

There's no clear source on that, I've checked multiple but I actually found that the most likely source of your Fish and Chips is that they came from Belgium, because Fries were originally invented there, though that is disputed too. French fries - Wikipedia I personally believe Belgium to be the original fry capital however, based on my own research which I will delve into later.
I think chopping and frying potatoes is such an obvious thing to do that chips/fries or a version of them may well have sprung up in more than one country at the same time.

Last edited:
Same here, there has to be an inventor of french fries, but as so many countries believe they've invented them it's impossible to find that one guy. Also because back then written recipes were not that common
The potato didn't arrive in Europe until the late 16th century so, assuming it was a European nation that invented fries, that should narrow down the options a bit!

Back
Top Bottom