The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig is back in the hospital. I had to take him to ER Monday because he had been acting really odd and sleeping almost constantly since Saturday, not eating normally, as well as complaining of pain in his back/shoulder (he does have rotator cuff damage) since Tuesday, but then it moved into front/shoulder Monday. I thought he might have had a heart attack. Nope, shingles. They gave him meds and sent us home but of course all the pharmacies were closed Monday afternoon.

He drove me to work Monday, as the truck had been left there over the weekend, and then went to get his meds and go back home. I got home Monday afternoon and asked if he took his meds. No. Asked why and he said he didn't understand how to take them. It was 1 pill daily and 2 pills daily. Had him take his meds then asked him to heat up our dinner I had made Sunday for a weeknight. He wasn't able to turn on stove and just stood there moving the pans around and lifting lids, then putting them back on. I ended up turning on the burner and told him to get bowls and spoons out, which he couldn't do either. Off we went to ER again. He couldn't tell them date, year or President.

He's had another small stroke within the last few days. It's new but not new, new. His blood sugar was 34, as he apparently hadn't eaten all day. And to top it all off he's Covid positive, though asymptomatic.

Once they got his blood sugar up, he cleared up mentally pretty well before I left ER at about 1 this morning. I went back today to take him his phone and get an update, and found out about the covid. He seems to be back to normal and is eating, says he's still tired but not like he was.

I tested negative but have to take 2 more tests that are negative before I really am considered negative. Course have to isolate. This is NOT how I wanted a few days off.
Thinking of you both. Stay safe.

Sorry to hear about Craig's new problems. I hope the meds clear things up quickly. It has been nice seeing him posting again.

My sister called a few hours ago. My dad fell... again. He hit his head... again. They took him to the hospital... again. But, this time when they did a CT scan, it showed a sub-dural hematoma -- a bleed into the brain. So, he's going to be admitted, and spend at least a few days in the hospital. They will do two more CT scans today and tonight to see what the hematoma is doing.

My sister and the neuro-surgeon know each other very well, and he's a very good one. That's one good thing. She is going to get him to prescribe rehab for when he goes home. Medicare and his supplemental insurance will cover that, and it will give us some time to think some things through.

We have to decide whether to move him from the apartment into some form of assisted living or skilled nursing. He would be in the same complex as the apartment, where my mom would continue to live. He's just falling too much. The cost of that will be ridiculous, but they have it -- for now, at least.

I go in for a minor procedure on Friday. It will be done outpatient, so I'll go and come home the same day.

Sounds like Craig, my dad and I are making some doctors wealthier this week.

CD
Best wishes for you and your father.

The staggeringly beautiful Alaskan landscape, plus a reassuring - yet unnerving - sign on a dumpster.

9F237CD7-83CB-445C-A030-B4903CCC26DC.jpeg

6E33E443-1D1E-46D5-8E15-CC8715C06516.jpeg

Craig is doing better. He seems to be pretty much back to his normal state. The reason I wrote seems is that I woke up at about 3 this morning unable to breathe due to nasal congestion and started nearly constant coughing. Went ahead and took another test and it showed positive almost immediately. So, obviously, I have to quarantine.

Called my doc 30 minutes after they opened this morning and it took until 4.30 to talk to him. He called in a prescription for Paxlovid for me and I used drive thru to pick it up. 3 huge pills twice a day for 5 days. Fortunately, we had some cough medicine that was unopened from the start of the pandemic so I am not coughing so bad anymore and it's also for mucus so not quite as stuffy. Total exhaustion though and shortness of breath. It's all I can do to take care of the dogs and fix myself something to eat, though I'm not really hungry but know I have to eat something.

Went ahead and took another test and it showed positive almost immediately. So, obviously, I have to quarantine.
Hang in there. My unvaccinated brother, early ‘60’s, got Covid a few weeks ago, and he went on Paxlovid immediately and he felt a lot better after just a couple of days. Hoping the same is true for you.

Hang in there. My unvaccinated brother, early ‘60’s, got Covid a few weeks ago, and he went on Paxlovid immediately and he felt a lot better after just a couple of days. Hoping the same is true for you.
My completely vaccinated and boosted nephew and his fiance both tested positive last Friday and have been very ill. They got some sort of antiviral meds prescribed and started taking them Monday. They are starting to feel a little better today. We were supposed to do lamb burgers for his birthday, that's going to be postponed for sure.

Edited to add: isn't it weird that people who wouldn't get vaccinated have no problem taking meds that haven't been out that long and no one knows about long-term effects of taking them? I mean, I would take them for sure, but I also have been double vaxxed and 2x boosted. Just sayin' I find it strange.

Craig and i are both vaccinated and 1 booster. I had been dwadling about getting the second, not that I didn't want to get it, just kept forgetting to make appointment. Wish I had now.

Yeah, the pharmacist and doc both mentioned Paxlovid had only been approved as an emergency use.

I've heard people start feeling better really fast and I sure hope that's true.

Craig and i are both vaccinated and 1 booster. I had been dwadling about getting the second, not that I didn't want to get it, just kept forgetting to make appointment. Wish I had now.

Yeah, the pharmacist and doc both mentioned Paxlovid had only been approved as an emergency use.

I've heard people start feeling better really fast and I sure hope that's true.
There's no guarantee that getting the second booster would have kept you from getting sick. The newer variants (as I am sure you know) are resistant. So just get better xo :hug:

Last edited:
I need to get my second booster. Even if the virus changes, it's a good thing to do. With my current breathing issues, if I were to get Covid, I'd be in the hospital, I'm pretty sure.

Speaking of... tomorrow afternoon I go in to get this fluid drained from my abdomen. That should ease my breathing a lot. If I stick to my meds, I shouldn't have to do this again for quite a while. When I was in the hospital a few weeks ago, they took me off the meds for a week, and I filled up like a water balloon.

My shallow breathing along with 100F-plus outside temperatures has me worn out.

CD

Edited to add: isn't it weird that people who wouldn't get vaccinated have no problem taking meds that haven't been out that long and no one knows about long-term effects of taking them? I mean, I would take them for sure, but I also have been double vaxxed and 2x boosted. Just sayin' I find it strange.
I had been having exactly the same thoughts. Why have a vaccine that has now been used on billions, multiple times and instead rely on something new, an antiviral agent that is relatively (compared to the vaccine that is) untested.

I need to get my second booster.
MrsT got hers Monday last, and I’m getting mine this coming Monday.

How long does that abdomen-draining take, and is it very uncomfortable? I know my dad’s had his lungs drained before, and that wasn’t too bad for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom