The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost our best boy Minx two days ago. We're largely empty nesters now so he was almost like one of the kids, we even called ourselves mum and dad.

Tearing up while I write this lol.

He knew that I always got cross when he sat on my laptop because he had this uncanny ability to simultaneously switch off the screen and the mouse pad leaving me with a blank unresponsive laptop.
So he worked out his own solution!:laugh: (see pic below)

View attachment 30558

He often made us laugh at his silly ways, he was the worst bird catcher ever, I don't think he ever caught a bird in his life because he'd mew at them while was stalking.

View attachment 30559

Still expect him to jump up on my lap for cuddles, still go to check his water before I go to bed.

He was our good boy and we miss him terribly.

:hug:

@Yorky - I hear you on the aging front. My folks are in their 80's, and my mom especially is good at pointing out everyone they knew their age is dead.

I hope your sis has a peaceful and pain free transition. Both my mother-in-law and my sis-in-law passed in hospice (85 and 47, respectively), and they both seemed to wait until they were alone. Both times, the hospice staff told us that wasn't unusual.

@Wyshiepoo - I'd give you a big hug if I could, we know the feeling with losing a dearly loved pet. Sadly, we're about to go through it again, as our Kate (dog) is 17 and starting to show her age.

We sound like we have the same plan as you. We're six years out from retirement, we got plans to travel a lot then, and once we get fed up with that and settle down for good, maybe another pet then.

Anyway, Minx was no doubt lucky to have such a good home. Just hold on to those good memories and be happy you knew him and be proud you took such good care of him. It gets easier with time.

Cold cold day today. Sleet and hail at one point putting the place white.
Darn cold inside. Even with the fire lit it was still a 4 layer day.
Now it's the heated blanket winter and sunset weight quilts and 2 layers just to go to bed!

Night folks. Too cold to stay up any longer. :cold:

Cold cold day today. Sleet and hail at one point putting the place white.
Darn cold inside. Even with the fire lit it was still a 4 layer day.
Now it's the heated blanket winter and sunset weight quilts and 2 layers just to go to bed!

Night folks. Too cold to stay up any longer. :cold:
Odd as it sounds, but that sounds wonderful. I love a cold house and a winter storm.

I appreciate not everyone does, though, so stay warm!

Odd as it sounds, but that sounds wonderful. I love a cold house and a winter storm.

I appreciate not everyone does, though, so stay warm!

Our house is cold (without aircon) for probably 4 weeks of the year. And then it is unlikely to drop below 15 degC. I do remember the days snuggled up in a massive duvet back in England/Scotland but I also remember getting up at 05:30 to go to work in virtually zero temperatures.

Our house is cold (without aircon) for probably 4 weeks of the year. And then it is unlikely to drop below 15 degC. I do remember the days snuggled up in a massive duvet back in England/Scotland but I also remember getting up at 05:30 to go to work in virtually zero temperatures.
My wife is from upstate NY, way up, past Lake Placid, past the Adirondacks, just south of the border from Montreal.

Every now and then, we'd spend the night with her folks, and they usually kept the spare bedroom closed up, and we'd always forget to go back and turn the vents on, so at bedtime, that room would be cold. Frost on the inside of the window, etc. The sheets would actually be stiff from the cold. I loved it!

The morning we moved away (and went to Texas, the other extreme), it was -24F, which is something like -30C, and you could expect cold nights starting in early October right into June.

Later, we lived in Minnesota for eight years, and it was even colder.

but I also remember getting up at 05:30 to go to work in virtually zero temperatures.

That would be warm!

Most winters even in Surrey, temps would routinely drop to minus double figures... so -14°C wasn't unheard of. We'd bring the Guinea pigs in when it made it to -10°C. And close the bedroom windows to. Not all the way but so that they still had an inch or two left on them.

We've woken to a layer of snow this morning. A surprise really.

20190810_065158.jpg

That would be warm!

Most winters even in Surrey, temps would routinely drop to minus double figures... so -14°C wasn't unheard of. We'd bring the Guinea pigs in when it made it to -10°C. And close the bedroom windows to. Not all the way but so that they still had an inch or two left on them.

View attachment 30584

I'd love a bit of snow right now. What's that 'hump'?

That would be warm!

View attachment 30584
Love those trees, what are they? Do they grow in that shape or are they trimmed?

Love those trees, what are they? Do they grow in that shape or are they trimmed?
The triangular ones? They are a ospruce that just grows like that. They are very common as wind breaks. They surround the track to the road and the house. There's another line if the at the back. The only cutting done had been to reclaim the ground under them, such as the track.

It's more odd seeing eucalyptus with snow on them!

I don't miss the 7 to 7 at night days in winter here over 30 years ago, we used to burn old car tyres to keep warm at work. Handling cold steel in winter wasn't fun.

Russ

The triangular ones? They are a ospruce that just grows like that. They are very common as wind breaks. They surround the track to the road and the house. There's another line if the at the back. The only cutting done had been to reclaim the ground under them, such as the track.

It's more odd seeing eucalyptus with snow on them!
Or palm trees with snow on them lol By the time I woke up (many years ago) it was gone.
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom