The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Air Con is pretty well essential though I guess?
When we lived in Texas, we were coming from extreme upstate NY, so our cars didn't have air conditioning.

It was absolutely brutal on the commutes and just driving around. Thankfully, my commute was around 15 minutes, but many a day, I forgot to do the locals' trick of putting up a sun blocker over the windshield and laying towels across the seat, dash, and steering wheel.

4:30PM would roll around, I'd beat it to my truck get in, hit the vinyl seat and burn my backside, even through my clothes. Then I'd have to open the windows and let it cool down for a half hour before I could get back in.

My poor wife...her commute was 45 minutes to an hour, no A/C, and bumper-to-bumper traffic, so no way to even get a breeze going. She's come home every day, completely drenched in sweat, looking like she'd just fallen into the pool, beet-red, and her bushy, wiry, thick hair shooting out from her head like I don't know what.

So far this Spring/Summer, I was getting by just fine on just the downstairs system. But, it has been cooler than usual this year. By July, and through September, we have solid high 90sF with a handful of days in the 100sF.

CD

You just reminded me, I need to clean my ac filters. I'll do it when it warms up here. Approx 10 deg c here.

Russ

It would be quite pleasant this morning at 31°C except that the relative humidity has shot up to 89%!

British Driving Test.

There were about one and a half million cars on the roads of Britain in 1934, but despite the low number, more than 7,000 people were killed in road accidents. Something had to be done – and it was. Parliament decided that anyone driving a car had to prove they could do it safely and the first compulsory driving test was introduced on this day in 1935. Those who had not passed the test were required to display L (for learner) plates on their vehicle. The test lasted about half an hour and cost seven shillings and sixpence.

20:15. Drizzle after a major storm which forced me to vacate the stoep. 25°C now but humidity 98%.

Beautiful day, mid-70's low humidity. I'm busy planting my seedlings into gallon bags and later today will pick up a grocery order which includes 3 more bags of potting soil. Then doggie to the vet for toe nail clipping and general maintenance, and lastly the last bit of weed eating for this week. That should do it for me. Thank goodness I have leftovers for dinner.
I took a crack chicken recipe and gave it my own twist, deleted the bacon and added some roasted green peppers and corn for a southwestern flavor, and then boosted the entire thing by reducing the sauce and adding wine. It's very yummy. We had it with cornbread the first night. I think tonight will be baked potatoes.

Personally, I don't like air con. I know I live in a temperate climate, but even when I'm overseas it has to be really hot before I consider using it - I'm talking well over 40 deg C. I find it dries out my eyes and throat. Practically ever car I have had over the past 30 years has had air con fitted, and I only use it briefly to cool the car when it's been standing in the sun, or to prevent steam up in the winter if clothing is wet.

I missed the launch!! Have to find it online. I heard that it went very well & hooked up with the Space Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom