The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've never been without power since I can remember, when we had quakes daughter lost her home, son lost power, we lost nothing. I bought a generator as a back up but sold it a year later, I didn't need it. Snows the big thing here. Although we've been lucky for years.

Russ

Father's_Day_1623943230343_1623943238825.jpg

This woke world is going crazy.

Russ

That's not "woke," that's a conspiracy theory. It's more "Q" than "woke."

BTW, the term "woke" originally had a very narrow meaning, calling for African Americans to become politically active. Now it has become a new way for conservatives to ridicule anything progressive/liberal. The color of mars has absolutely nothing to do with being "woke."

CD

Last edited:
We've never been without power since I can remember, when we had quakes daughter lost her home, son lost power, we lost nothing. I bought a generator as a back up but sold it a year later, I didn't need it. Snows the big thing here. Although we've been lucky for years.

Russ

Our electricity went out during a very heavy storm on Thirstday evening. Not unusual and was back on with in hour. As usual, no explanation.

However, Friday morning it was off when I got up (05:30) for about half an hour then off again at 09:00. My wife rang the Provincial Electricity Authority who denied all knowledge of it. We though nothing more of it as it was on again before 10:00. My wife was convinced that it was a problem inside our house because neighbours were not experiencing problems. I was sceptical.

On Saturday morning the electric again went off around 09:00 and my wife again rang PEA to report it. They were adamant that it was not due to a fault of theirs. Upon my suggestion, my wife rang our electrician who luckily managed to call round between jobs. He discovered that there was no power to the meter (on a pole outside the gate). When my wife explained this to PEA on her next call they agreed to send someone around (no apology). The "someone" arrive at 14:30 and discovered a short in their junction box on the opposite side of the road. It was fixed within minutes.

Luckily, I had re-stocked the fridge at 05:30 so the beer was still chilled by mid afternoon.

The cool front just rolled into town. The winds shifted North, and got gusty. The temperature dropped about 8 degrees. The radar shows rain sort of coming my way, but I'm not 100-percent confident I'll get any. I hope so.

CD

we once lived in a definitely 'country' area - last house for 4-5 miles along the road and also last house on the electrical distribution line/poles/etc.

once upon a thunderstorm massive, the disconnect tripped on the pole feeding our house. think of it as a big knife switch, but mega-power surges cause it to trip out.....

after some time,,, I called - told them I could see the disconnect was tripped... "okay, we'll be out . . ."
24 hours went by so I called and told them if they didn't come pull the disconnect back in, I would. they arrived about 10 minutes later, took less than three minutes to "fix" the problem.

we once lived in a definitely 'country' area - last house for 4-5 miles along the road and also last house on the electrical distribution line/poles/etc.

once upon a thunderstorm massive, the disconnect tripped on the pole feeding our house. think of it as a big knife switch, but mega-power surges cause it to trip out.....

after some time,,, I called - told them I could see the disconnect was tripped... "okay, we'll be out . . ."
24 hours went by so I called and told them if they didn't come pull the disconnect back in, I would. they arrived about 10 minutes later, took less than three minutes to "fix" the problem.

Other than the "Big Freeze" of February 2021, where we had rolling blackouts (30 minutes on, 30 minutes off), my power has never been off for more than about 15 minutes. The electric coop I belong to just re-routes electricity from computers in their offices, and power comes back on while they fix the problem that caused the outage.

My local coop is great! It is the Texas State power grid that is outdated and falling apart. Nothing is being done, but the State Legislature did manage to find $250-million to spend waste on the stupid border wall.

CD

That's not "woke," that's a conspiracy theory. It's more "Q" than "woke."

BTW, the term "woke" originally had a very narrow meaning, calling for African Americans to become politically active. Now it has become a new way for conservatives to ridicule anything progressive/liberal. The color of mars has absolutely nothing to do with being "woke."

CD
Anything irrational is being labelled woke here, I didn't know the African side of that, I never heard of it.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom