The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to take our dog to the dog-wash later this morning. Sam is in love with Giulia, a nice girl who always wash, dry and comb him.
Sam becomes like a dandy, heart-shaped eyes especially when she gives him treats, cuddles, kisses. I’m jealous! :laugh:
Don't be jealous, I'm sure Giulla will give you treats and cuddles if you ask her.

We had the very unusual situation of a (small) tornado here too yesterday! That something that maybe happens twice in a century here, if that.

Pics:
View attachment 65667
This was the buildup, I can't find pics of the actual tornado but it was there according to the news.

View attachment 65663

View attachment 65665

View attachment 65666

That tornado was "wrapped in rain." They show up on Doppler radar, but you can't see them. That makes them dangerous, because people don't see them and don't run for cover.

Texas has an average of about 150 tornadoes per year. It varies a lot from year to year. In 2020 we only had 89, while in 2019 we had 184, and in 2015, we had 258.

CD

That tornado was "wrapped in rain." They show up on Doppler radar, but you can't see them. That makes them dangerous, because people don't see them and don't run for cover.

Texas has an average of about 150 tornadoes per year. It varies a lot from year to year. In 2020 we only had 89, while in 2019 we had 184, and in 2015, we had 258.

CD
Ah thanks for explaining, as a Texan I am sure you know all about them with that many passing by. I didn't know such a thing was possible, so thanks for teaching me something new.

The forecast high temperature for Sunday (Father's Day in US) is 99F (37.2C). We haven't hit 100F yet, but it seems to be getting close.

BTW, there is a storm moving into Louisiana/Mississippi now that may or may not be a named storm. It has tropical storm level winds, but not a clearly established center of rotation (eye). It is East of ElizabethB. She'll probably get some heavy rain and gusty winds, but nothing severe. Mississippi will get the worst of it.

CD

From pictures, your house looks like it has vinyl siding? That seems to be very popular up there. My house is about 90-percent covered with bricks, and has composite (fake wood) trim.

CD
Yes, vinyl siding is very popular here.

Power is still out, more rain today, no idea when it'll be back on.

Went out for breakfast, lots of downed trees and things. We lost a bit of aluminum trim and one of our trees lost a big branch. Saw several massive trees down on the way into town, many completely uprooted, and one had fallen straight through the owners' house.

When we left this morning, power company showed 5,800 people in our area without power. It's now down to...3,400, and we're still in that group. I got four bags of ice, loaded the coolers up with freezer stuff, and put some stuff in the neighbor's freezer. Fridge contents (aside from beer) are a loss.

How dedicated is my wife to her morning cuppa? She made sure to tell me that there's no reason I can't boil water on the gas grill tomorrow morning, should the power still be off. :laugh:

Went out for breakfast, lots of downed trees and things. We lost a bit of aluminum trim and one of our trees lost a big branch. Saw several massive trees down on the way into town, many completely uprooted, and one had fallen straight through the owners' house.

When we left this morning, power company showed 5,800 people in our area without power. It's now down to...3,400, and we're still in that group. I got four bags of ice, loaded the coolers up with freezer stuff, and put some stuff in the neighbor's freezer. Fridge contents (aside from beer) are a loss.

How dedicated is my wife to her morning cuppa? She made sure to tell me that there's no reason I can't boil water on the gas grill tomorrow morning, should the power still be off. :laugh:

As long as you don't open your freezer, most frozen foods should be fine for at least 24 hours, and longer if the freezer is full.

As for fridge stuff, you may not have lost as much as you think. Things like pickles, which are ... pickled, can take some time at more than the 40F threshold for a while.

CD

We keep several 2 liter soda bottles filled with water in the freezers. They can be put in the refrigerator to keep things cold in there. Gives us some leeway on dragging out the generator.

They also serve as clean water in case the water goes out after a hurricane.

Last edited:
As long as you don't open your freezer, most frozen foods should be fine for at least 24 hours, and longer if the freezer is full.

As for fridge stuff, you may not have lost as much as you think. Things like pickles, which are ... pickled, can take some time at more than the 40F threshold for a while.

CD
Yeah, we were at about 16 hours for the freezer. Wasn't too concerned about that at the moment, more planning ahead in case the power doesn't cut back on until tomorrow.

I did a quick inventory of the fridge - hot sauce, mustard, pickles, olives should be fine, and the beer and wine and other booze, of course. Mainly the lunchmeat and cheese will get tossed.

Here's some riveting local reporting, with pics:
Storm’s winds, rain pelt county - Wilmington News Journal

We keep several 2 liter soda bottles filled with water in the freezers. They can be put in the refrigerator to keep things cold in there. Gives us some leeway on dragging out the generator.

They also serve as clean water in case the water goes out after a hurricane.

My parents and sister do the same thing, too, if there is a TS or Hurricane in the Gulf.

I need to get my parents a new generator. The cheap POS my dad bought died. My sister really needs to invest in one, too.

CD

They're now reporting we had a small tornado touch down here...coordinates are just over the road from our house, so a matter of yards, not miles. We weren't worried last night when the house was rattling, because we were watching live updates on our phones, and they just kept reporting them as straight-line winds. Now they're saying tornado with 80+mph winds. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I need to get my parents a new generator. The cheap POS my dad bought died. My sister really needs to invest in one, too.
I just about have MrsT convinced to get a whole-house generator installed. I'm playing her need for convenience against her need to hoard money. :laugh:

They're now reporting we had a small tornado touch down here...coordinates are just over the road from our house, so a matter of yards, not miles. We weren't worried last night when the house was rattling, because we were watching live updates on our phones, and they just kept reporting them as straight-line winds. Now they're saying tornado with 80+mph winds. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just about have MrsT convinced to get a whole-house generator installed. I'm playing her need for convenience against her need to hoard money. :laugh:
That tornado would be an EF-0... EF-1 tops.

We are also looking at a whole house backup generator for my parents. It's going to be $10K to $15K for their house. They have the money, and they are interested in getting one. Getting it done is the hard part.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom