The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bugger, middle of a really heavy thunderstorm and Serenity (my 26yr old 4×4) tries to catch fire! Grr. Radiator has finally gone through after 5 years with a crack in it!

Now soaked to the skin, but no naked flames and didn't need to use the fire extinguisher... so hopefully it won't be too expensive but she's off the road for the a while. Garage can't deal with her until the New Year.

Sitting waiting on rescue.

So this was the shot I took whilst waiting before daylight started to fade.

Don't know how obvious it is because my vehicle has 26yrs of use and the 'insulation' to the bonnet has seen better days, but basically exact middle of the photo, that's the damage acquired with the attempt at catching fire.

20231219_165114.jpg

Maybe a bit too close for comfort?

I went to the store a few hours ago. As I drove up the street around the corner from my house, I saw a coyote cross the street in front of me. I haven't seen one in my neighborhood in a long time.

CD
We have loads of coyotes around, close to becoming a nuisance animal, but not quite. They make a lot of noise at night and sometimes get in the garbage. These days, you’re just as likely to see one as roadkill as you are a deer.

What’s interesting here, though, is the return of the bobcat to this area - several confirmed sightings within a mile or two of our house.

Bobcats spotted throughout county - Wilmington News Journal

We got out of their way and went out for breakfast. If you ever find yourself in Bristol and in need of a full English I can recommend ‘The Cozy Club’.
It‘s right next to where the boys live, less than 2 minutes walk to get there.
It was all executed to perfection which is rare with breakfast and there‘s usually a component thats neglected, often the plates are not warmed so midway through a breakfast marathon things go cold but not here.

Sorry no pics of breakfast but heres the menu and the lovely ceiling, it’s the former bank exchange.

Also sorry about the giant finger in the photo. I considered a photo shop fix for about 10 seconds and decided life’s too short 😂

View attachment 108074

The Menu (there was a large gluten free menu too which contained pretty much everything on the normal menu) and the gluten free bread stayed tasty when soaked in the poached egg which is nothing short of a miracle, usually gluten free bread disintegrates on contact with any liquid.

View attachment 108075

I had the ‘Butcher‘s Brunch’ and the treacle cured pork belly was so good I nearly asked for more!!

Hot food on a cold plate is a big no no for me, we have sent food back because of this.
Menu looks good though.

Last edited:
We have loads of coyotes around, close to becoming a nuisance animal, but not quite. They make a lot of noise at night and sometimes get in the garbage. These days, you’re just as likely to see one as roadkill as you are a deer.

What’s interesting here, though, is the return of the bobcat to this area - several confirmed sightings within a mile or two of our house.

Bobcats spotted throughout county - Wilmington News Journal

We have had a big increase in bobcats in Frisco, too.

CD

We’re supposed to get our first significant snow later today, calling for two inches. It’s very windy out right now.
We didn’t get any accumulation at all. It was cold, very windy, and we had snow squalls, but nothing that stuck. 😠

SatNavSaysStraightOn - did you finally get the right meds and are you doing better now?
Yes, I did thank you. I was still having issues some time later because food was late, but I wasn't driving by then.
Without it I would have been needing an ambulance and being taken south, rather than driving north for my vehicle to break down.
Hydrocortisone is an immediate release tablet with about 4-6hrs life in the body, so I have to taken it multiple times a day. Luckily it's effect is noticeable within 30 minutes of taking it.

Tomorrow the production manager is buying everyone pizza and chips for lunch, well I say everyone, there will only be about 15 people in so a cheap lunch :laugh:

Tomorrow the production manager is buying everyone pizza and chips for lunch, well I say everyone, there will only be about 15 people in so a cheap lunch :laugh:

One of my customers about 20 years ago used to buy their staff a xmas ham each. They had 100 staff. While handing them out one year they heard staff say " what, another bloody ham"
They stopped it from then on.
A lesson learnt.

When I had staff I gave cash payments at xmas.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom