The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My (least) favourite lead rebuy that happens regularly are the ultra short cables you use to charge your phone/camera/sat nav while on a bike. The stubby ones that range from 5-15 cm that disappear into thin air with no warning.

I have images of tiny Borrowers hidden in the floor boards and a stolen iphone getting jumped all over trying to make it work.. it’s the only logical explanation 🤪

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. I was just drawing a parallel, saying I’ve been through a buyout with them, on the buyee side.

We all hated them too, at first, because the two cultures were so radically different, but it was our culture (meaning the company that got bought moments before we collapsed) that got our fat, greedy asses in trouble to begin with.

That was in 2008, and there are still people here from those days that complain about it, and I’m like, “What…would you have preferred to to have been unemployed right when everything was crashing?” :laugh:

In 91 the company I worked for was bought out by a bigger company. I ran my own dept in the company. My boss in Auckland rang me and said I should? Be safe because I was good at my job. Half of the 12 staff were going.
I didnt want to be a pawn In a game.
I spoke to 3 people in a similar role as me . We formed a new company.
I was my own boss from then on.

Russ

I was at a company that was bought by my current company (strong-armed during the 2008 collapse, they didn’t want to buy us but the government said, “You will if you know what’s good for you down the road, hint hint”).

Compared to the previous company, my current employer is a dream. The biggest downside is a breakdown in middle management, like a lot of places, being heavy-handed with some things, trying to implement various corporate strategies, somewhat overly eagerly.

A lot of financial institutions are getting ready to tighten the belt, anticipating a late-2023 recession that’s expected to go into 2024, which is why I don’t see us getting that position backfilled. To be specific on the person leaving, they’re staying with the company, just moving to a different team outside our chain of command (IOW, he didn’t like who he was working for, not so much where he was working).

I can understand that. If you worked in the banking industry in 2008, just having a job was a big deal.

I was a customer with BBVA Compass for more than 20 years. They knew me, and I knew them. After the PNC takeover, the BBVA Compass employees had to put holds on almost all my deposits, charge me fees for everything, and say "No" when they were used to saying "Yes." They felt terrible about it. And, I actually felt bad for them when they had to tell me they couldn't do what I wanted. They would feel terrible about it, and I'd have to tell them, "Hey, its not your fault the new owners are pricks."

Basically, the employees had to be the lightning rods for a lot of angry customers. That's a shame, because It wasn't their fault that senior management didn't give a 💩 about customers.

CD

Ever had one of those weeks where you just want it to be over? I'm having one. Between my bank, my HOA, and a customer who wants a lot, but has trouble finding his checkbook when the bill comes due, I am ready for the three-day weekend coming up.

The Memorial Day Kingsford charcoal sale should start tomorrow. I'm ready to cook some premium red meat over a charcoal and wood fire -- unleash my inner caveman. I know the price won't be what it was -- it used to be 10-bucks for 2X20 pound bags of charcoal. Probably a good thing, since my Audi Q5 can hold a lot more charcoal than the 440 pounds I squeezed into the MINI. :laugh:

1684990917734.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
have images of tiny Borrowers hidden in the floor boards
Oddly one of the main ones that goes missing here are the 3m USB extension cables... we used to have 5, we are down to one and right now that is MIA. It was attached to the back of my hubby's printer at work. It currently isn't there. They are unbelievably useful and walk constantly.

Oddly one of the main ones that goes missing here are the 3m USB extension cables... we used to have 5, we are down to one and right now that is MIA. It was attached to the back of my hubby's printer at work. It currently isn't there. They are unbelievably useful and walk constantly.

My biggest problem is socks. They go into the dryer, and never come out. That seems to be one of the biggest mysteries of the universe.

CD

My biggest problem is socks. They go into the dryer, and never come out. That seems to be one of the biggest mysteries of the universe.

CD
Don't have a drier, simple answer. We don't and I have loads of pairs of socks!

20230518_162928.jpg

I have about 10 pairs more than this of hand knitted socks, though 2 pairs of those are presents for Christmas. Just blocking them so they look nice before they are washed for the first time....

View attachment 100411

I have about 10 pairs more than this of hand knitted socks, though 2 pairs of those are presents for Christmas. Just blocking them so they look nice before they are washed for the first time....

I have two colors of socks, black and white. They are all the same brand, Gold Toe. I don't have to sort my socks. They go in two piles in a drawer, one black pile, one white. That way, I always have a matched pair, with minimal effort. :okay:

Of course, since I wear Birkies (sandals) most of the time, I don't use a lot of socks.

CD

I have two colors of socks, black and white. They are all the same brand, Gold Toe. I don't have to sort my socks. They go in two piles in a drawer, one black pile, one white. That way, I always have a matched pair, with minimal effort. :okay:

Of course, since I wear Birkies (sandals) most of the time, I don't use a lot of socks.

CD
Hubby has all black socks, just not all identical black socks...

He moaned at me when I had +10 pairs of identical hiking socks (just with different wear patterns and hence a left and a right foot) but now he has the same ( :o_o: and doesn't complain about his socks... I don't understand men really!)

View attachment 100411

I love socks. I have mumble mumble number of pairs.

That looks fantastic. Like a while Etsy shop on it’s own!

Hubby has all black socks, just not all identical black socks...

He moaned at me when I had +10 pairs of identical hiking socks (just with different wear patterns and hence a left and a right foot) but now he has the same ( :o_o: and doesn't complain about his socks... I don't understand men really!)
Pretty simple, when they were your socks they were a pain in the a**e and now he has some they’re worth the effort 😆

I love socks. I have mumble mumble number of pairs.

That looks fantastic. Like a while Etsy shop on it’s own!
These are just the hand knit socks I've done, minus about 10 pairs of mine and another 6 or 7 to my mum, a set for my father in law, my stepfather, a couple for hubby and so on...

I've still got the original socks he moans about as well. I can go for about 2 months without needing to washing any woolly socks!

These are just the hand knit socks I've done, minus about 10 pairs of mine and another 6 or 7 to my mum, a set for my father in law, my stepfather, a couple for hubby and so on...

I've still got the original socks he moans about as well. I can go for about 2 months without needing to washing any woolly socks!
I sorted my socks out just yesterday and have an embarrassing amount, reckon I could go three months or more without doing a sock wash, I wouldn’t of course but there’s enough 😬
Not as nice as your mighty wool collection though, I have sock green eye 😆

I sorted my socks out just yesterday and have an embarrassing amount, reckon I could go three months or more without doing a sock wash, I wouldn’t of course but there’s enough 😬
Not as nice as your mighty wool collection though, I have sock green eye 😆
I have to save up enough to ensure I get the most use from one woollens wash of the washing machine. :whistling: all that water I save by ensuring I wash a full load of socks, and not a partial load. I'm sure there is plenty more space for another dozen or so pairs yet in that washing machine. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom