The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided that my dishwasher tablets are trying to tell me something. It's only the second box we've bought since we moved into a house with a dishwasher that isn't called hubby, 5 years and 1 month ago.

20230525_193520.jpg

There are 42 tablets in a box, and I've just counted 33 tablets into a new container (air tight this time)

No, the sink doesn't leak. I think the dissolvable membrane has absorbed too much water from the atmosphere and they are starting to, well, dissolve!

They calculate modern dishwashers are far more eco friendly than washing up by hand.
Hand washing up accounting for 4% of water use and dishwashers using less at 1%.
It’s also cheaper to heat dishwasher water than run a tap.
But of course there are lots of variables in there. That’s just the energy saving trusts assessment.

I am also biased, if an item isn’t dishwasher safe it’s not long before I’m finding it a new home 😂

I am also biased, if an item isn’t dishwasher safe it’s not long before I’m finding it a new home 😂
That’s something I’ve fought with my (non-washing-up) wife over repeatedly. To her, a dishwasher is meant for maximum occupancy, meaning plates, saucers, bowls, cups, and flatware, not for pots, pans, or anything that takes up too much space (“No pots in the dishwasher! You can fit six plates in the same place! Six! Maximize!), or oddly, anything that takes up too little space (“That’s too small, just wash it by hand!”), or anything oddly-shaped. Dishwasher must look orderly, y’know.

All that evolved into more things being hand-washed than dishwasher-washed, until I put my foot down a few years ago, since she does no washing up at all anyway. Now, my philosophy is, “If it fits, the dishwasher it gets!” and if possible, I don’t buy anything that can’t go in the dishwasher.

That’s something I’ve fought with my (non-washing-up) wife over repeatedly. To her, a dishwasher is meant for maximum occupancy, meaning plates, saucers, bowls, cups, and flatware, not for pots, pans, or anything that takes up too much space (“No pots in the dishwasher! You can fit six plates in the same place! Six! Maximize!), or oddly, anything that takes up too little space (“That’s too small, just wash it by hand!”), or anything oddly-shaped. Dishwasher must look orderly, y’know.

All that evolved into more things being hand-washed than dishwasher-washed, until I put my foot down a few years ago, since she does no washing up at all anyway. Now, my philosophy is, “If it fits, the dishwasher it gets!” and if possible, I don’t buy anything that can’t go in the dishwasher.
Good man 👍

Maximum occupancy to me means using the dishwasher to the full instead of turning on the hot tap.

Can’t abide half full machines, I look at them and see hungry polar bears floating around on small pieces of melting icecap 😬

Slightly miss that jumbo chopping block I gave away though but not enough to hand wash it! 😂

Same here, I use the dishwasher for almost everything, though I have some stuff that can't go in the dishwasher (like knives, and scissors, or the potato peeler. Anything with blades really. My reusable plastic bags don't wash well in the dishwasher too).

And I hate it when people eat at my house and decide to do the dishes by hand. I know they're trying to be helpful, but they're wasting me money! Just put everything in the dishwasher and if the dishwasher is full, the dishes can wait for the next load!

Last edited:
Same here, I use the dishwasher for almost everything, though I have some stuff that can't go in the dishwasher (like knives, and scissors, or the potato peeler. Anything with blades really. My reusable plastic bags don't wash well in the dishwasher too).

And I hate it when people eat my house and decide to do the dishes by hand. I know they're trying to be helpful, but they're wasting me money! Just put everything in the dishwasher and if the dishwasher is full, the dishes can wait for the next load!
Yep and I don’t like watching the stuff being washed in dirty water.

Saints be praised, I’ve finally…finally convinced MrsT to get rid of the multisystem TV and VCR that we bought just after arriving in the UK…in 1992.

That’s right, she’s finally agreed to get rid of a large, clunky, no-longer-used TV and VCR that’s over 30 years old, along with our PAL VCR tapes that we bought while there.

Here are some of the titles going away:

IMG_4502.jpeg

Those are single tapes just to show some of what we have - we have full collections of all of those.

My ex-wife did not like the way I did the laundry, but she liked it when I did it -- but wanted it done her way. Soooo, I only did the laundry when she wasn't home. She was fine with the results, as long as she didn't know how I get there. :laugh:

CD

Saints be praised, I’ve finally…finally convinced MrsT to get rid of the multisystem TV and VCR that we bought just after arriving in the UK…in 1992.

That’s right, she’s finally agreed to get rid of a large, clunky, no-longer-used TV and VCR that’s over 30 years old, along with our PAL VCR tapes that we bought while there.

View attachment 100419

Those are single tapes just to show some of what we have - we have full collections of all of those.
Have been to see Bottom live three times, was excellent, the last of the brilliant slapstick comedians.

This is no joke Eddy, THIS is MYYYY BIRTHDAY 😆

View attachment 100419

One of my ex-wife's favorite phrases, "But we might need that someday."

Later in our relationship, I learned to play dumb.

Mrs. CD: Hey Casey, have you seen our digital electrostatic gonculator?

Me: Nope.

(Truth: I threw it away.)

CD

They calculate modern dishwashers are far more eco friendly than washing up by hand.
Hand washing up accounting for 4% of water use and dishwashers using less at 1%.
It’s also cheaper to heat dishwasher water than run a tap.
But of course there are lots of variables in there. That’s just the energy saving trusts assessment.

My washing up bowl is 11L full to the brim. It is used once a day. I fail to see how any dishwasher can be more economical and those ads saying I could save 200litres of water a week must be based on some very dubious stats given that 7×10 (allowing for space at the top) is only 70 litres of water. We don't rinse after washing stuff, we just use very little washing up liquid.

As for our dishwasher (not the human one) it doesn't use less than 10 litres per wash and usually errors needing a reset because of low water pressure. You can't shower, flush the toilet, fill the kettle or use the washing machine, wash you hands etc, whilst the dishwasher is on.

I'll stick to hand washing. We only use 1 small bottle of liquid every 2 months.

View attachment 100419

You can't get rid of Blakes's 7.... nooooooooo

<err, then again I think we got rid of all of ours back 12 years ago when we cleared out, we'll you all know that story!>

My washing up bowl is 11L full to the brim. It is used once a day. I fail to see how any dishwasher can be more economical and those ads saying I could save 200litres of water a week must be based on some very dubious stats given that 7×10 (allowing for space at the top) is only 70 litres of water. We don't rinse after washing stuff, we just use very little washing up liquid.

As for our dishwasher (not the human one) it doesn't use less than 10 litres per wash and usually errors needing a reset because of low water pressure. You can't shower, flush the toilet, fill the kettle or use the washing machine, wash you hands etc, whilst the dishwasher is on.

I'll stick to hand washing. We only use 1 small bottle of liquid every 2 months.
Well thats the variables I mention. The average dishwasher uses 9.5 litres of water, mine uses 8.9

I’m sure some of the stats are dubious but given it’s an off repeated claim in the UK trading standards would be all over them like a hot rash if it were untrue.

I couldn’t handle not rinsing the dishes or the low water pressure, a weedy shower does my head in, takes so long to rinse the soap from your hair, I’d have to move, you‘re a braver man than I 😆

Well thats the variables I mention. The average dishwasher uses 9.5 litres of water, mine uses 8.9

I’m sure some of the stats are dubious but given it’s an off repeated claim in the UK trading standards would be all over them like a hot rash if it were untrue.

I couldn’t handle not rinsing the dishes or the low water pressure, a weedy shower does my head in, takes so long to rinse the soap from your hair, I’d have to move, you‘re a braver man than I 😆
Over here, they claim that you could save 200 and something litres a week by using the dishwasher. I'm left scratching my head... to save that much means people must use a considerable amount of water!
I know our tank is 22,000 litres full, but that is everything (excluding garden) and if it doesn't rain, we don't have water. So we are very conservative with our use.

Most water getting recycled onto the garden, including the washing machine, but I can't do that with the dishwasher and ours definitely uses more than 10 litres per cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom